Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One PC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One PC

So,

I just got my Amex PRG. I got my Discover Chrome Student last month, and I have a Cap One Platinum from Oct 2017. I found this link: https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade , and I'm eligible for a product change from the Platinum to the QS. Should I do it? I want to push for higher credit limits on all my cards (Is QS more generous than Platinum on CLIs?), so which card is better for long-term limit growth?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One PC

If it’s a no fee Quicksilver of course you upgrade. You get cashback and it goes from a builder card to a card with at least more growth potential. So my vote would be definitely yes.

Message 2 of 7
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This is a no-brainer. QS > Platinum, and you keep the account age. Over time, you will find that the QS still grows slowly and if it is a card you want, getting a new one after your scores are high will make you more able to grow the limit, at the cost of a 3 bureau HP. Starter cards with Cap One never grow much.

Message 3 of 7
Miner
Frequent Contributor

If it's the QS with the annual fee you may want to skip it as many said the AF version never upgrades to a non fee version.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

If it’s a no fee Quicksilver of course you upgrade. You get cashback and it goes from a builder card to a card with at least more growth potential. So my vote would be definitely yes.

But is this confirmed? My understanding is that once you're in a bracket for your account, it stays that way. Even if you PC your card, it is still considered a sub-prime account when it was initially offered based on Capital One's ABS policy and the only way to get around it is opening a new card and therefore new account. It's putting lipstick on a pig. Sure you get rewards and your account may grow slightly, but it is not normal for it grow past a few thousand without opening a new account and merging.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC’ed to QS, no AF. Same features and everything as before, but now earning 1.5%.

@Sapphireminer, are you going for CSR next?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, PC to Quicksilver.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.