cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Platinum AND Cap One Quicksilver Rewards ... Can you have both?

tag
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

Cap One Platinum AND Cap One Quicksilver Rewards ... Can you have both?

So I decided to go on a little spree with making CLI and applying for a couple of "new" cards. All successful EXCEPT I did NOT get approved for a Cap One Quicksilver Rewards card and got that '7-10 days letter will be coming' message. A bit surprised and disappointed so of course I try to do a BD/Recon. Well I get nowhere and get automated info and low level CSRs (We need to get an updated BD/Recon number for Cap One BTW). The rep can not even pull my letter early to tell me why I didn't get approved. However she does take a moment and reviews my regular Cap One Platinum card and tells me there is an offer to upgrade it to a Cap One Quicksilver Rewards card. YES the exact one I just applied for and did not get approved for! It's no annual fee, 1.5% CB, etc. etc. The only missing piece is I do not get the $100 bonus offer for a "new" card! She even walks me through how I can access the offer when I login into my account. She notes that the offer is good until February 23 so I figure that's enough time to get the initial denial letter to figure out why and see if I can do anything on that and so then I'd have BOTH the regular Cap One Platinum card AND the Cap One Quicksilver Rewards card vs one or the other if I choose to upgrade. Not a bad position to be in right. But then I start to think, could that be why I was denied the Quicksilver Rewards card because I can only have one or the other. Not both in this case, with these cards. So I've done a little post reading, not really really thorough but I can't seem to find anyone who has got approved for both a regular platinum and a Cap One Quicksilver Rewards card ... well at least recently. More to this theory ... When I look at the details of the upgrade offer, it was initiated the same day of my denial! Crazy coincidence? Anyone have a recent experience to offer some thoughts?

Current Score: EQUIFAX 706
Current Score: EXPERIAN 712
Current Score: TRANS UNION 722
BK in 10/2005

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cap One Platinum AND Cap One Quicksilver Rewards ... Can you have both?

it's to bad you didn't waste the 3 hp's because it's practically a gaurantee that you can get any capital one account upgraded to quicksilver either online or through exec office... I would take the offer.

many people have 2 or 3 quicksilver cards... taking the offer on the existing account will not change the outcome of your current app which sounds like denied... I would google "capital one executive office email" should be the first one... starts with richard...!!!

Anywho... send off an email and say you recently applied and you don't understand why it wasn't approved.

while you wait for them to call you... which will probably be tomorrow or next day if you shoot that email off now... go online and accept the quicksilver.

if exec office calls you, while you are having them look into this app I would also go ahead and have them look into a credit line increase on this current (Now upgraded Quicksilver) card of yours... it's sp, manual review... might have a good outcome... ASK FOR HIGH, they will ask if you will take less, they will counter... all that good stuff.

search the board if you need more info and results of this annoying exec office process with cap1

Message 2 of 11
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I would definitely take the upgrade. It can only help you and it won't hinder your chances for approval on the other application. (and they won't merge cards) At least then you'll have a better card that has rewards verses a card that isn't really doing any thing for you.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 11
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

Update:

So I called Cap One's EO and did not have any instant raging success that I read about that everyone else has ... BUT ... I did get some updated info. First, the lady was nice enough but did not seem to have a ton of authorization power ... maybe it's hit or miss on who you get? However she was able to at least tell me why I was denied the original direct application for the Quicksilver Reward card ... my BK. No other reason was given but that. So I explained it was over 8 years ago, I've had perfect credit history since on several credit cards including their Cap One Platinum MC ... though I've only been with Cap One for a few months since this was originally an HSBC card. Well after this info she did give me an option to have the original direct Quicksilver card application get a "manual" review and sent it to underwriting. She told me her only concern was it may require a (another) HP. I said I have no plans to get any kind of loan or any new credit cards soon so I'll risk the few point hits and let's go for it. Worse case, I can always fall back and get my regular platinum card upgraded to the Quicksliver card right! She said she'd call me back within 4 to 5 business days to let me know the results. So everyone please send me your good Cap One vibes! Actually not just for approval but a high CL! I'll keep you posted.

BK in 10/2005

Message 4 of 11
Jeff007245
Regular Contributor

@ultimatefighter wrote:

Update:

So I called Cap One's EO and did not have any instant raging success that I read about that everyone else has ... BUT ... I did get some updated info. First, the lady was nice enough but did not seem to have a ton of authorization power ... maybe it's hit or miss on who you get? However she was able to at least tell me why I was denied the original direct application for the Quicksilver Reward card ... my BK. No other reason was given but that. So I explained it was over 8 years ago, I've had perfect credit history since on several credit cards including their Cap One Platinum MC ... though I've only been with Cap One for a few months since this was originally an HSBC card. Well after this info she did give me an option to have the original direct Quicksilver card application get a "manual" review and sent it to underwriting. She told me her only concern was it may require a (another) HP. I said I have no plans to get any kind of loan or any new credit cards soon so I'll risk the few point hits and let's go for it. Worse case, I can always fall back and get my regular platinum card upgraded to the Quicksliver card right! She said she'd call me back within 4 to 5 business days to let me know the results. So everyone please send me your good Cap One vibes! Actually not just for approval but a high CL! I'll keep you posted.

Two pulls x 3 his like 6 pulls from Capital One. I would have taken the upgrade and ran to another lender for better cards. Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best of luck on getting approved, but I would have hung up the phone on her the second she said "require another pull".

Just garden your cards and upgrade to the Quicksilver and wait for preapprovals in the mail.

Garden
2/16/14
|*****1/2014 - NPSL*****| *4/2011 6,000 CL* |*11/2011 - 5,000 CL*| *9/2012 - 850 CL* | *1/2014 - 500 CL* |*2/2014 - 6,000 CL*|
Message 5 of 11
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

@Jeff007245 wrote:

@ultimatefighter wrote:

Update:

Two pulls x 3 his like 6 pulls from Capital One. I would have taken the upgrade and ran to another lender for better cards. Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best of luck on getting approved, but I would have hung up the phone on her the second she said "require another pull".

Just garden your cards and upgrade to the Quicksilver and wait for preapprovals in the mail.

"Two pulls x 3 his like 6 pulls from Capital One" ... not sure what you mean here? Cap One did 1 HP for the original application for the Quicksilver Rewards. That's it right now. The "manual" review may or may not require another HP. May not because they may not need to pull any or possibly they may pull from the one they have since it's open for 30 days without it counting as a second/seperate pull. Worse case, they take an HP on one of the other CR. At least this is my understanding. If I'm wrong, I'll live in the garden I have now.

BK in 10/2005

Message 6 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ultimatefighter wrote:

@Jeff007245 wrote:

@ultimatefighter wrote:

Update:

"Two pulls x 3 his like 6 pulls from Capital One" ... not sure what you mean here? Cap One did 1 HP for the original application for the Quicksilver Rewards. That's it right now. The "manual" review may or may not require another HP. May not because they may not need to pull any or possibly they may pull from the one they have since it's open for 30 days without it counting as a second/seperate pull. Worse case, they take an HP on one of the other CR. At least this is my understanding. If I'm wrong, I'll live in the garden I have now.

Question you applied for a new CAP1 card? If so they pull from each CB always ...Ouch I know 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 11
Techno
Contributor

I got declined moments ago like you, and i havent found a good number to call.  can you write down the number u called and that nice lady answered?

anyhow for your question it's known that capital one pulls all 3 agencies at once. so that's the 3x that he is talking about.

Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Techno wrote:

I got declined moments ago like you, and i havent found a good number to call.  can you write down the number u called and that nice lady answered?

anyhow for your question it's known that capital one pulls all 3 agencies at once. so that's the 3x that he is talking about.

just google capital one executive office or president email and shoot of a quick email... they will call you probably monday and you can ask that it be manual reviewed through that department.

Message 9 of 11
ultimatefighter
Valued Member

Update:

It's taken this long but I have good news. I finally got approved for the Cap One Quicksilver card with a $3000 CL! Not as high of a CL as I would like so I'll be asking for a CLI real soon but for now I'm happy. So add this to the Cap One Recon Success book!!

I think it's worth re-capping and sharing my story because there is a lot of multiple experiences to learn and gain from within it...

I had a HSBC Platinum MC that turned into a Cap One Platinum MC when Cap one took over. Despite having this regular Cap One card I decided to directly apply for a Quicksilver Card instead of trying a product change or upgrade (you can check my previous posts for my rationale). I was denied due to my BK, where I had burned Cap One. I did a recon and coincidentally or as part of this process had an upgrade offer on my regular Cap One card to the Quicksilver. I was tempted to take it but still had this initial issue of being denied on my direct app for a QS card. Well I decided NOT to take the upgrade and instead pursued the initial denial and direct app for the QS card. So requested a recon and manual review. Got a call back about a week later, hoping for good news, instead was asked to provide some documentation of my annual income. I went ahead and did that and waited out another week and finally got the call yesterday that indeed I got approved for the QS card with a 3K CL. Longer and more tedious than I hoped but success at the end. So be persistent and don't be afraid to app for multiple Cap One cards and recon on each of them. Also as noted Cap One will do HPs on all 3 credit bureaus on a direct app, however, based on what I can see at this moment, they only did soft pulls for my recon/manual review. Also, Cap One only does SPs on CLI requests.

Now I'm weighing my next step. $3K is not a high enough CL for me to make this my #1 card which I'd like to do, so I'm debating if I try to recon this new card and try to get a CLI directly OR see if I can combine my regular Cap One card CL of $2K and have just a single card at $5K. Any thoughts? Any one know if Cap One will even combine CL?

BK in 10/2005

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.