cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Pre-approval Site - How Accurate?

tag
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

Cap One Pre-approval Site - How Accurate?

I went on the Cap One site and did their pre-approval app.  It gave me a card and suggested I apply.  How likely is it that I will be approved based on this utility?  They only asked for my name, address, and last 4 of my ss.  It then asked how I rated my credit. Other sites ask for full social and household income.  I was also pre-approved for HBSC using their online tool, but it was more extensive.

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Pre-approval Site - How Accurate?

I submitted for a Capital One applicaitons today, I received an instant declined online. Then I called the back door number immediately and the customer services say the application is in pending and will not be available a few days later. I was asked to call back in few days to see the status.

What is going on?

Message 2 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I submitted for a Capital One applicaitons today, I received an instant declined online. Then I called the back door number immediately and the customer services say the application is in pending and will not be available a few days later. I was asked to call back in few days to see the status.

What is going on?

I believe that that CSR was being lazy and was rushing you off the phone.  If the system gave you an instant decline, that indeed was the decision.  Some of those CSR's give Capital One a bad name.  

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called back again 2nd time and this time a different CSR say the same thing. The apps is still in pending and wont know until January 2nd by mail...hmm what is going on?

Message 4 of 14
emartin82
Regular Contributor

CSRs at capital one are trained to deflect all questions about denials. the idea being that you will find out why you were declined once you get the letter in the mail and that you should wait for that letter before calling back for a recon.
Message 5 of 14
DrJim
Frequent Contributor

I don't mean to be rude, but I feel like my thread has been hijacked.  The responses really should be a separate thread.  Does anyone have any helpful responses about the original question?

Starting Score: TU 672 EQ 654 10/20/09
Current Score: TU 775 EQ 783 EX 799 (PLUS)
AMEX Delta Platinum $35K, NFCU Visa Signature $30K, HHonors Reserve Visa $35K, WF $13.5K, IHG Rewards Club MC $25K
Message 6 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

Pre-approvals are absolutely never a guarantee you'll be approved.  That goes for any pre-approval offer by any bank.  If your utilization isn't up to par, I wouldn't waste the inquiry that would bring your FICO score down further,  If your utilization is indeed high, it's very likely your scores among all three credit reports are suffering.    Sorry about the thread jack. It happens as others may have related questions concerning the same bank. 
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know why I didnt get instant approve. It's my fraud alerts again in Transunion. Gonna fax in stuff to Transunion and get it update. No wonder it gave me an instant massage to reapply within 45 days
Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I was pre-approved, applied, and instantly declined for bk.  My Chapter 13 is still in progress which I think was the problem because they are very bk friendly
Message 9 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
I was pre-approved, applied, and instantly declined for bk.  My Chapter 13 is still in progress which I think was the problem because they are very bk friendly

When you're a company like Capital One known for its issuance of $300 credit line it's easy for them to be BK friendly.  

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.