Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Prequalifier Reliability?

tag
MrShush
Valued Contributor

Cap One Prequalifier Reliability?

I check the prequalifier sites often just to see what pops up and I'm NEVER eligible for anything, but today, Capital One says "Congratulations! We think you'll like this prequalified offer." Then the first offer is the Venture One Rewards and the other offers I'm eligible for are the Platinum Presitge and Venture Rewards. My question is, how reliable are these and if I do apply, what are the odds of denial or worse, a lame limit?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Prequalifier Reliability?

It seems to of been pretty reliable for me in the past, although when I first started my repair it once said I wasn't qualified for anything but I applied anyway and was approved. 

Long as you haven't applied for anything from them anytime in the past 45 days you should get an approval.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO!

Message 3 of 15
mross1080
Established Contributor

I ran it a few times and pulled the trigger twice and was approved both times. I think the question here is if your pre qualified for a venture card I would think you could probably get a much better card than capital one.

Message 4 of 15
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@mross1080 wrote:

I ran it a few times and pulled the trigger twice and was approved both times. I think the question here is if your pre qualified for a venture card I would think you could probably get a much better card than capital one.

I think I have better cards, but out of curiosity, I run the preapprovals just for *,* and giggles and this is what turns up.

Message 5 of 15
mross1080
Established Contributor

I actually do to. Never gotten a Venture prequail before. I think they have some pretty high standards for that and im a little bit out from having my scores that high.

Message 6 of 15
MrShush
Valued Contributor

See, that's what I'm talking about! I never got any offers from them before which piques my curiosity!

Message 7 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

Better odds than cold app but not a definite approval.  

The triple pull is another item to consider during pre app cost/benefit evaluation.  

Best perk:  Capital One is the only mega issuer without a foreign transaction fee.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 15
mross1080
Established Contributor

Freeze the 2 CA's with lower scores before you app. They'll only pull one. Worked twice for me. It'll cost you a couple of bucks. It depends on how much a hard pull is worth to you.

Message 9 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

@mross1080 wrote:

Freeze the 2 CA's with lower scores before you app. They'll only pull one. Worked twice for me. It'll cost you a couple of bucks. It depends on how much a hard pull is worth to you.

Surprising results they have been known to deny for multi freeze, where only one report is available (for eg. they pulled transunion for me and still denied for frozen EQ, EX)

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.