Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One QS CLI Step is there a method?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One QS CLI Step is there a method?

I should be receiving my new card next week. I have an automatic CLI after 5 months (I assume this is the "step" increase people refer to?) My question is, what factors do they consider when increasing the limit? Is it all credit report based or do they go by usage? (or both?) Should I try to use the card more than I normally would for the first 5 months to increase my chances of a larger increase?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One QS CLI Step is there a method?

I think the Credit Steps increase is $500.  You can certainly try for CLI's online prior to that.  Some receive as early as after 2nd statement, after the 3rd is more common. 

Put a lot through your card and PIF for best results.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my Plat card from them, I started with $500 and was increased to $2300. (and was just recently increased to $4300) This new QS card starts at $2000, so I wouold expect more than $500. We'll see. I expect to use it quite a bit as it is my first "rewards" card. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Credit Steps email will tell you the minimum amount they'll give you as a guaranteed CLI (some people are told $250 and they end up getting a $2000 CLI, but all that's promised is whatever your email says it'll be).  There's no real rhyme or reason behind whether you get more of an increase than what they say you'll get - I hear high usage can help trigger it but that isn't across the board.

You can request a CLI before your Credit Steps increase hits.  It has to be after the account is open at least 90 days, recommended to try the request after the 3rd statement hits.  If you do obtain a CLI before you get your Credit Steps increase, that's great because you'll still get your Credit Steps and so you can get two CLIs in the first several months.  If you do not or cannot obtain a CLI before Credit Steps, you'll have to wait at least 6 months after Credit Steps to request another CLI, so I would recommend giving it a shot before Credit Steps hits - even if it's a no, it's SP so it won't hurt you.

Message 4 of 6
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Honestly- Nobody really knows and there is no rhyme or reason to the amounts they give during CLIs.

I base that off of 6 local people I know, we all got the same cards with the same low limits in credit steps at near the same time.

High usage PIF normal cli.

Barely any usage and not PIF large cli.

medium usage not pif large cli

high usage pif low cli

high usage not pif high cli

Willing to bet its more based off of your reports than any kind of usage that goes through it.  But who knows.

Message 5 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I should be receiving my new card next week. I have an automatic CLI after 5 months (I assume this is the "step" increase people refer to?) My question is, what factors do they consider when increasing the limit? Is it all credit report based or do they go by usage? (or both?) Should I try to use the card more than I normally would for the first 5 months to increase my chances of a larger increase?

You should get an email telling you what your credit steps CLI will be. That increase will kick in after the 5th statement. You can also request a CLI after 3 months. If you do get a CLI you will still get the Credit Steps increase as well.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.