Cap One QS Mastercard VS Visa version

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap One QS Mastercard VS Visa version

@galahad15 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Cookie2120987 wrote:
UncleB, was the APR one of those older CAP One cards that had like 10% back in...the golden age???

Yes, it is an older account (nine years old) and started out as a HSBC account.  I'll also add that as late as last year Capital One was still offering a low-APR 'Platinum' MasterCard (with no AF) to folks with good credit, so you're likely to see quite a few of them around with low APRs, although most folks with them who are on this board will have changed it to a QS by now. 

That was actually my 'plan' at first... get the Platinum with a lower APR and no-AF, and eventually change it to a QS for the rewards (and keep the low rate), but I didn't act fast enough.  Now they only offer the 'Platinum' to folks who are building/rebuilding, and it has a high APR.

Also, just a note, as of February 1, Sam's Club takes Visa in the brick-and-mortar stores now.  Smiley Wink

UncleB, j/c, are you referring to Cap1's former low-APR "Platinum Prestige" product, that they are no longer offering?  Also does anyone know if it is still possible to PC to it, even though it is no longer offered on Cap1's website?

Yep, I think that's what they called it.  A year or so ago when I would do the pre-qual, my offer was for Venture or QS at 17.9%, or the 'Platinum' no rewards, no-frills card at 15.9%, with no AF. 

You can certainly PC to a no-frills card, but your APR would stay the same - I actually tried that last summer while on the phone with a fantastic CSR (at the time, I was at my 'wits-end' over the $79 AF).  She told me she could 'strip away' the rewards, but the rate (and in my case back then, the AF) would remain, which of course would have defeated the purpose of the entire exercise. 

It seems these days that Capital One wants everybody who qualifies to have a rewards card, since they only market the non-rewards card to the builder/rebuilder folks.  Of course it could be that too many folks were getting the low-APR Platinum card, and then later PCing to a QS (keeping the low APR).  That's was actually my own plan, but I didn't act fast enough.  You must admit, it was an ingenious loophole... LOL.  Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have both.

World MasterCard Venture

Visa Signature Quicksilver

I like having both just in case.

I think World MC has more travel benefits.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 12 of 14
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

Shooting-for-800, out of curiosity, what did you start with to get the WMC Venture? Does it have the $59 annual fee as well like the VS Venture?
Message 13 of 14
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Cookie2120987 wrote:
Shooting-for-800, out of curiosity, what did you start with to get the WMC Venture? Does it have the $59 annual fee as well like the VS Venture?

QuickSilver MC or QuickSilverOne MC, can't remember.  Yes, I have $59 fee and 2% back like regular Venture.

Started at 3,000 as QS1 two years ago I think, then went to $3,500 QS then $12,500 QS then WMC Venture then combined with QS Siggy to get $25,500.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.