Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One QSO Weeding Help

tag
awiser
Regular Contributor

Cap One QSO Weeding Help

Over the past few months I have been doing more weeding than growing with my credit cards.  Simply, if they don't serve a purpose or I don't use them, I don't want them.  I want to nix one of my Cap One QS1 cards, but am not sure which to get rid of.  As you can see, from my siggy, they both have tiny limits.  The QSO Visa (APR 14.99%) was an Orchard Bank buyout that I opened 12/4/2007 and the QSO MasterCard (APR 12.90%) was opened 8/1/09.  Obviously, the APR's aren't that big of a difference, even if I needed to carry a balance for a couple months, and both cards have a $59 annual fee.  My hesitation is that I plan to prune and grow the card that I keep and my thinking is that a PC would be easier down the road with the Visa version - since the QS is a Visa.  Which would you keep? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap One QSO Weeding Help

Personally, I'd keep both. I regret not apping for a 2nd Cap 1 in the earlier stages of building my credit. lol I think they both have huge potential to grow -- just need to show them love and I believe they both will grow. The APRs are great on both and the dates of opening are great on both. Those annual fees I'd just call EO each year and get them refunded.

But that's ME, I'm sorry that I haven't really been helpful in your question of which one should you pluck from your garden. (I'd tend to always keep my oldest card.)
Message 2 of 7
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
Personally, I'd keep both. I regret not apping for a 2nd Cap 1 in the earlier stages of building my credit. lol I think they both have huge potential to grow -- just need to show them love and I believe they both will grow. The APRs are great on both and the dates of opening are great on both. Those annual fees I'd just call EO each year and get them refunded.

But that's ME, I'm sorry that I haven't really been helpful in your question of which one should you pluck from your garden. (I'd tend to always keep my oldest card.)

I agree with Kenny.  Don't make the same mistake as me and close them and decide to reopen them.  The EO should gladly waive those AF's permanently and your APR on both cards is quite good for CapOne.  At the end of the day, grow or not, 1.5% cashback is pretty good.  I'm not going to let CapOne beat me.  They'll get a pack of gum once every 3 months and just sit in the sock drawer.  I don't need them but they are my oldest.

My last CLI denial reason: Not sufficient experience with high lines on Capital One accounts  (EQ score on back of letter:  791.... lol)

No crap, huh?  How can I have experience with high lines unless you give me an increase to above 5K?  Makes no sense.  Oh well, 2.5K and 1K are better than they used to be.  I would go either FB or EO email route.  You might be pleasantly surprised. 

Good luck, no matter your choice. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 3 of 7
awiser
Regular Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

I agree with Kenny.  Don't make the same mistake as me and close them and decide to reopen them.  The EO should gladly waive those AF's permanently and your APR on both cards is quite good for CapOne.  At the end of the day, grow or not, 1.5% cashback is pretty good.  I'm not going to let CapOne beat me.  They'll get a pack of gum once every 3 months and just sit in the sock drawer.  I don't need them but they are my oldest.

My last CLI denial reason: Not sufficient experience with high lines on Capital One accounts  (EQ score on back of letter:  791.... lol)

No crap, huh?  How can I have experience with high lines unless you give me an increase to above 5K?  Makes no sense.  Oh well, 2.5K and 1K are better than they used to be.  I would go either FB or EO email route.  You might be pleasantly surprised. 

Okay, I guess keeping both and contacting EO for AF isn't a bad idea, and I didn't think I would get results when I considered it.  With my line-up in mind, are there any that you would pluck out of the garden?  I shop a lot at AEO and ON, and they both recently got upgraded to Visa with higher limits, so I want to keep those - plus, GE is very benevolent with me.

American Eagle Outfitters VisaAmerican Express BCE AUApple BarclaycardBill Me LaterCapital One MCCapital One VSCitibank Diamond PreferredCitibank Simplicity AUDiscover ItKohl's Charge CardOld Navy VisaWalmart
APR23.99%21.99%22.99%19.99%12.90%14.99%24.99%10.99%22.99%23.99%23.99%22.90%
AF$0$0$0$0$59$59$0$0$0$0$0$0
CL$2,000.00$9,300.00$700.00$1,279.00$600.00$400.00$2,000.00$9,400.00$1,000.00$500.00$2,000.00$2,300.00

Message 4 of 7
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

@awiser wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

Okay, I guess keeping both and contacting EO for AF isn't a bad idea, and I didn't think I would get results when I considered it.  With my line-up in mind, are there any that you would pluck out of the garden?  I shop a lot at AEO and ON, and they both recently got upgraded to Visa with higher limits, so I want to keep those - plus, GE is very benevolent with me.

American Eagle Outfitters VisaAmerican Express BCE AUApple BarclaycardBill Me LaterCapital One MCCapital One VSCitibank Diamond PreferredCitibank Simplicity AUDiscover ItKohl's Charge CardOld Navy VisaWalmart
APR23.99%21.99%22.99%19.99%12.90%14.99%24.99%10.99%22.99%23.99%23.99%22.90%
AF$0$0$0$0$59$59$0$0$0$0$0$0
CL$2,000.00$9,300.00$700.00$1,279.00$600.00$400.00$2,000.00$9,400.00$1,000.00$500.00$2,000.00$2,300.00

Walmart likely has an upgrade in the future like the Sam's Club card.  Not sure when but I would certainly hold on to that one.  If it were me (I'm not a fan of store cards at all), here's what I would do:

Keep AE, BCE(AU), CapOne(both), Citi (both), Discover, Walmart, ON, AEO

Strike:  Apple, BML and Kohl's

"To do list":  EO or FB and get CLI's and AF's waived on both CapOne cards and try for a SP CLI on Discover.  If a no go, consider TU HP for increase. 

That's just my recommendation and what I would do.  Only you know your util and financial situation and ultimately have to decide what's best.

Hope this helps. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@axledobe wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

Well, while I am a Cap One fan, I would be much more willing to close than the other responders!  Sure, ask the EO, but unless they immediately agree to permanently waive the AF, close the cards.  A $59 fee for just a 0.5% gain in cash back over a 1% card?  Need to put $12,000 a year on each to overcome that.  You have good CLs on other cards, so don't worry about closing IMO.

Message 6 of 7
awiser
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@axledobe wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

Well, while I am a Cap One fan, I would be much more willing to close than the other responders!  Sure, ask the EO, but unless they immediately agree to permanently waive the AF, close the cards.  A $59 fee for just a 0.5% gain in cash back over a 1% card?  Need to put $12,000 a year on each to overcome that.  You have good CLs on other cards, so don't worry about closing IMO.

@Anonymous, everyone!  I will contact EO and see what they can do for me - if nothing then one will get an axe.  $59/year is just not worth it for me.  @axledobe Thanks for the to-do list.  I will probably strike BML and Apple because i really don't have a main use for them.  About a month ago, I sent a message to PC to Rewards card but Barclays said their policy is not to due to some such regulations.  Kohl's will probably get SD'd because of the deals they offer.  The long-run goal is to get down to five cards that really work for me.  Thanks for the advice, folks!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.