tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One Question

@UncleB wrote:

@TiggerDat wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@rockbttm442 wrote:
I'd drop yourutl down. Let yourQS1 hit 6 months and see what you qualify for then. That my plan. I got myQS1 in Feb.

+1

Do this, and pay off your QS1 monthly... in 6 months I bet you'll be golden. 

For a long time Capital One had a reputation for not giving CLIs, etc. but lately they have really come around.  Many folks on here (myself included) have had recent luck with CLIs on cards that were seemingly 'stuck' for years.

Hang in there! 

One of mine still is stuck.  Every time I hit the Luv Button with them they tell me that account is not eligible for increases while they review thier policy. 

Funny to me, since I have two other cards with them.  One of them they offered an increase to me on, it was a substantial increase too; from 7 to 10.

The third account won't give me an increase because the amount of payments compared to the amount charged has been low.  Before I did a balance transfer to the account it was sitting for a while and the reason for denial was usage of the credit limit.  Only one payment has been made since the balance transfer.  I kinda figured that would be the reason when I asked a few days ago. 

While they are much better as of recent times, they still have some of their old ways hanging about.

Two of my cards are being used by AUs, when they are paid off I am going to try and transfer the bulk of the limits to the lowest card, the one they have never give me an increase on.  I figure that since it is the hardest to get them to increase the limits on, then I will play by their rules.  I will get a good limit with that card and then build the other limits back up or whatever.

Sounds like a plan... just keep in mind you won't be able to build the other limits back up, since those cards will be closed; unfortunately the Capital One online option (when it was available) only allowed us to combine accounts (closing one of them), not move partial limits. 

On the plus side, once you combine accounts you'll likely be able to apply for a new Capital One account and get a much higher line, if you want.  Smiley Wink

I guess if I have to close them to combine them, I would be OK with that.  I would still chose the one with the least love to keep open and I would simply combine two of the three.  I really don't need or want three Capital One accounts anyway.  I only wanted two in the beginning, to build up my credit.  I closed one because of their old policies.  Then one was an HSBC card that got transferred over.  I opened the third one, a Visa Signature card, because of their old policies. (I guess saying third is wrong, since it really is the fourth, but third still open.)  It was CapOne's policies that got me where I am today.  Had they given me increases on my original two cards, then I would simply have been happy.  But it was too annoying listening to them tell me to keep up the good work and I would be eiligible to get an increase in the future...  I listened to that for years and finally just went ahead and opened new accounts.  That lead me to think about better rewards and now CapOne competes for usage with my Sallae Mae, Discover, PNC, etc.  When my niece pays off her balance on my FNBO Amex, I will make that the replacement everyday card since it has 1.5% cash back too.  I can settle for using the CapOne card for international transactions. 

I guess I should be thanking CapOne for being so hard to deal with in the past, since now I have so much more so, all because of their CLI policies in the past.

Thanks CapOne, if you hadn't been so hard to deal with in the past I wouldn't have all the great cards I have! It was just too much paying off my credit card balance up to 7 times in a month.  It was a struggle to buy a plane ticket and pay it off and then rent a car.  So Thanks for pushing me to give business to other companies.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.