Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Question

tag
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Cap One Question

I've been reading up on Cap One on the board and it seems they are willing to give second chances.  I had an account with them years ago tha got charged off.  It fell off my CR earlier than it should have.  But after reading they do give second chances, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to apply.  I need more credit to boost my score.  I understand they pull all three reports, but will my scores get the job done? 

I just had a defaulted student loan deleted from all three of my reports and only saw a 2 point difference on my EX report.  So depressing. 

11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap One Question

Just took a chance.  I was approved for $300 w. a $39 annual fee.  Hopefully that will help me join the 600 club with EQ. 
Message 2 of 14
GFer
Valued Contributor

Cool!

Treat them well and they will reward you!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  I'm definitely planning on treating them well.  I've been paying on time on all my open accounts for almost 2 years.  Slowly, but surely, I'm making progress.  I also applied for a Wal-Mart card.  I didn't get an instant approval, but they only pulled EQ and I just discovered my FICO score with them is 620 after the pull.  That should get me approved, no?  I'm hoping so.  I really want to buy a house soon...

Message 4 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

it told you right away what your CL would be?  mine didn't.  Smiley Sad

i didn't realize they would pull all 3 of my CRs, either.

this is my 2nd capital one card, after charging off the first one when i first went off to college in 1998.  definitely won't be doing that again!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

"If you treat them well, they will treat you well."

I really wish I could say that this statement is true but I can not

I've had the account for just about a year, I've never been late or over the limit and I pay way more than the minimum payment.   You would think that they would reward that but in my experience this is simply not true.

They will not raise CL, Lower APR, or waive the annual fee

At this point I'm seriously considering dumping them

Message Edited by mainemedic on 10-05-2008 02:03 PM
Message 6 of 14
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Wow, mainemedic, that's not encouraging.  And I'm sorry that's been your experience.  I'm having the same luck with Premier.  Tomorrow I'm going to call and ask them to combine the two cards I have.  If not, I'll pay them both off at the end of the month and not use them anymore.   don't think I can afford to close them though.  I have plenty of time on my cr's.  My oldest account is 13 years old (premier is only 3 years old), so I'm not afraid of losing the age, but I don't want to chance closing them and still losing points. 
Message 7 of 14
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Hey Laz98, yeah, they did tell me right away that it would be $300.  I think that's the lowest they give.  Yeah, I read up on cap one on the forums before taking a chance and applying.  Most people said they pulled all 3. 
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mainemedic, I am in Maine, too, and can get nothing from them, even with a perfect history and cards that are 4 and 5 years old. Last CLI's took me from 300 to 500 on each, but the most recent of those is three years old.

Maybe it is where we are, and the insane taxes being upped and added every other day? Or the state's median income?

Message 9 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@almost_there wrote:
Hey Laz98, yeah, they did tell me right away that it would be $300.  I think that's the lowest they give.  Yeah, I read up on cap one on the forums before taking a chance and applying.  Most people said they pulled all 3. 

i read up a lot on capital one, but i didn't see anything about pulling all 3.  of course, it's not like i can read EVERY post on them....of course, i wasn't really looking to see if they would pull all 3.  never heard of such a thing!  oh well, i can afford the inquiries.  no biggie, just a surprise.  thanks!

if you don't mind me asking, what card did you apply for, & what are you scores?  thanks again.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.