Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Quicksilver One immediately after discharge

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One Quicksilver One immediately after discharge

I was just discharged from a chapter 7 this past Monday. I was advised by my lawyer to open a new card right after discharge so I can start my rebuild. I tried the prequalified site on Cap One and it showed the QS One and the platinum. I chose to go with the QS One and was instantly approved for 1k. I'm very happy with that. I've never been with Capital One before so do y'all have any tips for me? I've read where it looks like they will enroll me in credit steps. Is that something automatic? Will this card grow? I had excellent credit up until I had to file chapter 7 earlier this year. I just don't know what kind of usage to do with cap one. I want my scores to go up and I want to feel trustworthy again. Does this card do auto increases or will I have to ask? I appreciate any advice.....thanks Smiley Happy
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Quicksilver One immediately after discharge

Congratulations!! The quicksilver one and platinum cards are included in credit steps and it is automatic.  I got my credit steps email about a month after getting my platinum card.  I was given a 2k starting limit and my credit steps email said I would get another $500 after the five on time monthly payments.  I dont know what the growth potential is, but it seems like people grow a bit with the rebuilder card then once they qualify for a regular quicksilver combine the limits and close out the starting card.  My third statement will cut this weekend and then I will try for a CLI and a product change to the quicksilver.  I've read on here that capital one likes to see lots of usage and big payments, but I dont have any data of my own to back that up.  It is my only credit card right now and I put everything on it and make several big payments a month so if I get an increase and product change this weekend then I guess it's true.  I'm sure someone who has been playing this game longer then me will chime in. Good luck on your rebuild.  

On a ide note I wish my lawyer had told me to get a cc right away and work on rebuild... I have read that here a lot.  Mine did not and I waited too long. I could have been a lot further along.  Glad your doing the right thing Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 has tightened the reigns a little lately, so it is hard for anyone to say for sure. I feel like if you are using and PIF they are going to give you increases, just maybe not quite as much as they used to. Combining many high cards to a monster card (35-50k) and SDing is definitely a thing of the past, as Cap1 is slashing those unused limits.

Keep us posted on your progress. We need new data points for new Cap1 accounts. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep y'all updated. Please let me know how the 3 month cli goes. I didn't realize you could request one with it being a credit steps card. Hopefully after 3 months my car loan (reaffirmed) will show back up on my credit reports and give my numbers a boost. I've paid on it for 3 years with no lates. I'm assuming adding that to the mix will help. I hope to build a good relationship with Capital One because I included most of the big names in my chapter 7.
Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You probably will be in credit steps but don't be afraid to hit the credit line increase button every month starting after 2 statements until you get a cli that way too because you can usually double dip that first CLI with cap1 before 6 months.

Message 5 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Cap One is a great card to start with out of BK.   You can get some CLIs with usage and fast payments.

Eventually as your credit gets much better, you will want to apply for another Cap One card.

Each card has it limits based on your score when opened.  Glass ceilings.

Loyality does pay off though.

I started with a $3000 card fresh out of BK and 3 years later ended up with a $25k World MC Venture and $23k Visa Sig QuickSilver card with them.

I make over $100 per month in cash back and never paid a dime of interest.

They have treated me very very well.

I did however have to open and close several accounts as my credit got better to achieve the higher quality cards.

They also gave me a 2.49% 72 month car loan with no money down and no required documents.

I charge everything and make payments weekly not monthly.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank y'all for the information. I will try after my second statement cuts for a cli. I had no idea that this card can onlt go so far with a credit limit based on my credit score when applying. I figured as my score got better, my limit would keep increasing. So try for a second Cap One card after 6 months time? I burned alot of creditors in my chapter 7 so I guess after Cap One, I would try for Barclay's. I've always been afraid of them. Included in my chapter 7 was boa, citi, amex, chase, fnbo, discover and synchrony. Ugh....I can't believe I had to burn all those bridges.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.