Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Reporting Wrong Balance This Month - A little help

tag
fairclok
Contributor

Cap One Reporting Wrong Balance This Month - A little help

Hi all.  

My first rebuilder card from a few years ago from Orchard was transferred to Cap One like everyone else.    I have since added a number of prime cards to profile.

This month they reported my balance as $180 (CL $300) on all 3 credit reports when in fact my balance was $0 (with $75 credit) when the statement cut.       As you can imagine this impacted my FICO score negatively.      I'm in process of shopping for a mortgage and need to get this resolved.     And I don't want to open a dispute. 

I called Cap One spoke with a Sr. Cust Care Rep and they said there is nothing they can do for me.      She said they report the balance whatever it is on the day they report, which I told her was incorrect.   I explained that they report the balance when a statement is cut.      She and I then went to the date they reported and I showed her that my balance was $0, still she said there is nothing she could do for me.  

I'm at a loss on how to get this resolved.      Anybody out there have any thoughts?   recommendations?

Thanks,

Keith

Starting Score: Sept. 2012 EX FAKO 560; EQ FICO 590; TU FICO 576
2015 Score: Dec 2016 EX FICO 800; EQ FICO 790; TU FICO 810
Goal Score Met 2018: 825 or better on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Cap One Reporting Wrong Balance This Month - A little help

Not all cards report when the statement cuts, US Bank for example is an exception, and seems to report at the end of the month.  That said, Cap One does seem to follow the usual model, did Orchard always do that as well?

Message 2 of 8
fairclok
Contributor

Yes.    They followed that model. 

I also have another Cap One card and it reports right after the statement cuts.      Sometimes its every 30day, sometimes every 60 days, but they still report what information was on the statement when it was cut.    Usually the 23rd of each month.

Message 3 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 8
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@fairclok wrote:

Yes.    They followed that model. 

I also have another Cap One card and it reports right after the statement cuts.      Sometimes its every 30day, sometimes every 60 days, but they still report what information was on the statement when it was cut.    Usually the 23rd of each month.

That doesn't mean they have to though, they can report whenever they want,.

for ex. if i charge stuff on my Discover after my statement cuts the reporting will normally include the new charges.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 8
fairclok
Contributor

Thanks for the replies so far. 

I asked for a Mid Cycle Report but she had no idea what I was talking about. 

I'm aware that a CC company can report whenever they want, but in this case that date they report (which shows up on all my CRs) has a balance of $180.    Since I rarely / never use the card the balance is always close to $0.          

Message 6 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

If you do a balance transfer to capital 1 wwill they report it mid cycle?

Message 7 of 8
coffeepleeze
New Contributor

The same happened to me this month w my hsbc card. Due date 21st, statement date 24-27th. They reported on the 13th while my balance was high. Paid by due date expecting a bump but instead got a 12pt loss w a mrtg app in the works Smiley Sad its because of the transition w cap1 & hsbc. Hoping to gain points back on reg reporting date Smiley Happy
Starting Score: 05/30/13 EXP 597, EQ FICO 605, TU 609
Current Score : 09/06/13 EXP 610, EQ FICO 635, TU 678

Lender Scores: 08/09/13 EXP 643, EQ FICO 629, TU 685

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.