Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Rewards and the IRS...

tag
creditgambler2018
Regular Contributor

Cap One Rewards and the IRS...

Does Cap One report to the IRS or State franchise board of the rewards that are earnes on a credit cars as income?????

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Rewards and the IRS...

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

Does Cap One report to the IRS or State franchise board of the rewards that are earnes on a credit cars as income?????

Wow. How much did you earn in credit card cash back rewards last year?

Message 2 of 5
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Shouldn't as it's earning rewards on your own money spent.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@elcocaino2010 wrote:

I've never received any type of tax form, 1099, etc. for cash rewards.  That's not to say it's never done/been done, but I'm not familiar with it.

My own rewards return from each source is so minuscule (<$200 per source) that I'm not to concerned about it.  If I ever have to use a CPA again I might mention it, until then honestly I'm not too worried. 

Message 4 of 5
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

The IRS considers credit card rewards to be rebates and they are not taxable. From their point of view its basically a discount on your purchases made. If no financial transaction is required (you get rewards just for signing up) then its considered taxable. CA FTB follows the same rule. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.