Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Secured Question.

tag
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Cap One Secured Question.

Hi everyone. I have a CapOne Q.

I have the capone secured a little over a year now with a 400.00 cl. I SD this card because iti has such a low limit. I want to raise the cl (I have no faith CapOne doing an auto cl on it's own and knowing how stingy they are) should i raise i on my own by making a deposit?
I got them waive the fee for this year and i found out that it doesn't report as "secured" card, but rather as a credit card.

Also do they hp for making a deposit and whats the maximum amount for a deposit? Or should i close it completely?

Thanks in advance.

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Cap One Secured Question.

No HP for making a deposit.

Your secured card can have a limit up to $3,000.if the fee is waived i would keep it unless you need the deposit back. The cap1 secured, like you said, doesnt report as secured so if you've got the cash to throw in there it can help you get a higher starting limit on an unsecured card from another bank when you app.
Message 2 of 11
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Thanks! That's what i was thinking. I'll probably make the deposit and keep it SD and just charge a small amount per month to keep it active. As long as it helps me it can't hurt to keep it.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Message 3 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

How's your CR looking now?  Are you close to apping for unsecured?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 11
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

I actually have prime cards, with chase, citi, bofa, WF an even an Amex. The thing was the Capone has the lowest Cl compare to the rest so i just wanted to see if it was a good idea to bump up it's limit on my own since i don't expect Capone to do it or i i should just close it completely.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Message 5 of 11
Tristate
Contributor

@ObeyJohnny12 wrote:
I actually have prime cards, with chase, citi, bofa, WF an even an Amex. The thing was the Capone has the lowest Cl compare to the rest so i just wanted to see if it was a good idea to bump up it's limit on my own since i don't expect Capone to do it or i i should just close it completely.

If I were you , I would not worry about a limit on Cap1 for a second , and close it in a heartbeat , forget about putting your cash in it.

AMEX BCE 10K; BARCLAYS REWARDS 10K; CITI ANYWHERE 8K; DISCOVER 7,5K;CAP ONE VENTURE 9K;MERRICK BANK 2,3K; MACY'S 1,2K; WALMART-SYNCRONY 450$.
BK7 DISCHARGED IN 2011. FICO 8 NOW IN LOW 700S.
Message 6 of 11
eviLution
Established Contributor

Raising the limit to the Capital One would've helped if you did it before applying for prime cards. First prime card would've given you $4000-6000 and second would probably try to match that.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 7 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

There is no point in keeping the card as you no longer need it to build credit.    I would close it.

Message 8 of 11
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

You could increase your deposit to the maximum of $3000 then close it to have the $3000 report to the CBs. Capital One is pretty quick at returning the deposit so if you could spare the money for a month....

Message 9 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@jmcmillan wrote:

You could increase your deposit to the maximum of $3000 then close it to have the $3000 report to the CBs. Capital One is pretty quick at returning the deposit so if you could spare the money for a month....

Better plan on 3 months for money tied up.   They say 60 days and for me it took a little longer.    Probably not worth the trouble, IMO. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.