Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Steps CLI

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Cap One Steps CLI

I have two new Cap One cards in the "steps" program. They both promised a CLI if I used the card at least once and made 3 months of payments for one card, and 5 months of payments for the other card. (One is a biz card and one is personal.)

After reading lots of posts, I decided it would be better to pay off what I had charged, instead of doing monthly payments (which was my original plan before finding the forum). So, my question is, now that I have a zero balance, do I need to charge on it again and pay again each month, in order to meet their requirement of the number of months of payments to get the CLI?

Also, I stumbled across this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/crawl_message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=71364

It has some interesting info about people getting an additional CLI before their auto CLI by calling the backdoor number. This thread is a few years old, so I was wondering if anyone has tried this recently with any luck.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Steps CLI

I have a capital one card in the step program. I started with a $500 CL, after having the card for 5 months they incrase the limit to $750 automatically, I always paid the card in full every month.

Message 2 of 18
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

My Cap1 card was in the credit steps program and what I did was charge something small to it every month and paid it off when the statement came in. My credit limit went from 300 to 500 to 750 to 1,000. I think they increased it every 3 months and now it stopped at 1,000 and that was almost 2 years ago.

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

After you get your 2 steps, no more CLIs.   They refuse to grant any CLIs no matter what.

I have a couple cards with them that haven't seen the light of day in years since I now have other cards that have CL's about 15X larger than my Cap Ones.

My Cap Ones also have the highest APRs.   A year ago I got an offer to reduce one of my Cap Ones to an 8.something% APR with an effective APR of 11%.   That is still higher than my NFCU cashRewards card which I cherish.

4 months after I got my reduced rate, I got a letter in the mail reminding me of the rate reduction and that I hadn't used their card.   Ugh, DUH Capital One you do an A/R pull and see my credit reports, you should be able to figure out why I'm not using your cards.   

The only reason why I don't close them:  1. age  2. discount on foreign transactions.     Last 2 trips I made to England though I pretty much used cash for everything because I don't have those "chip & pin" cards and American/US credit cards are now harder to accept in the UK because so many merchants want to see a credit card with a smart chip onit.

I hope Navy starts issuing chip & pin cards... I have another biz trip to England coming up.

Message 4 of 18
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

I have two new Cap One cards in the "steps" program. They both promised a CLI if I used the card at least once and made 3 months of payments for one card, and 5 months of payments for the other card. (One is a biz card and one is personal.)

After reading lots of posts, I decided it would be better to pay off what I had charged, instead of doing monthly payments (which was my original plan before finding the forum). So, my question is, now that I have a zero balance, do I need to charge on it again and pay again each month, in order to meet their requirement of the number of months of payments to get the CLI?

Also, I stumbled across this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/crawl_message?board.id=creditcard&message.id=71364

It has some interesting info about people getting an additional CLI before their auto CLI by calling the backdoor number. This thread is a few years old, so I was wondering if anyone has tried this recently with any luck.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, that was before Cap1 changed their procedures. They used to allow senior account managers some leeway and they could grant early CLIs if the account had been well managed and deemed worthy. Now it's strictly a computer decision.

That being said, I WAS successful in getting my CS CLI to kick in a month ahead of schedule. I had a 500 CL, but pushed well over 1000/mo on it by paying at least once, but usually 2 or 3 times a week. I wanted the cash rewards, so I used it a lot! I spoke to a senior CSR at the number listed on the sticky and told him that I wanted to be able to push even more through the account, but that since I needed to wait two days for charges to post before I could pay them, I sometimes had to use a different card to fund some of my purchases in order to avoid getting too close to my CL. He reviewed my account and then kicked it up to his supervisor, who made the decision to give me the CLI early. That was a couple of months ago. I have not had a CLI since, but I've been told that I may be eligible for further increases periodically, just not as part of the CS program. We'll see. Last fall several people on this forum received CLIs out of nowhere. I remain something of an optimist. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the replies! My Cap Ones don't have any rewards, so there's really no motivation for me to use them, besides rebuilding my credit.

Bummer about their change of policy! Too bad I didn't have it back then. That said, maybe I'll try what you're doing and charge more, pay more often, and call the backdoor number and see what happens. I guess it can't hurt to try. I'd really like to get a card with rewards like so many people on the forum seem to have.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I entered into this several years ago when my CS was horrible and while it was very slow to get CLI for the first few years, I did go from $300 to $500 to $800 to $1200. I thought, based on what I was reading on here, that I was done but a few months back they surprised me with a jump to $3500. So you CAN get additional CLI with the Steps program. 

Message 7 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks! That gives me some hope. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

One in a million get to 3500 with cap one lol.

Message 9 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I'm not expecting anything so grand... but it does give me hope that I can get beyond the CLI to $500 and $750 that I'll probably get over the next few months.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.