Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Venture Question

tag
manew57
Valued Member

Cap One Venture Question

I was wondering if I might get some opinions on the reason why to get a Venture card,  I dontt do much traveling,  is there really any advantage to getting the venture card,  other than what I have read on here about usually higher starting CL, and is the MC QS with no AF considered a starter card in Cap One's eyes.  I have one QS and a QS1 now.  I know the QS1 is considered a  starter. I have heard or read somewhere that you can only have 2 "starter" cards with them and not sure how many prime cards you can have.  The rewards on the QS is pretty good for me and dont really see the advantage of getting the Venture which I was pre qualified for on their site, other than it being a prime card, but wanting to get opinions.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One Venture Question

Travel is the main reason to get one. At least, that was my reason. Yes, they do have a high starting limit for most, but I hope you don't use that as the only reason to get one. Smiley Happy There are many good cards out there to meet your needs. I am sure others will give their opinion. We have many experienced forum members. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that Capital One will hard pull all three credit bureaus.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Travel is the main reason to get one. At least, that was my reason. Yes, they do have a high starting limit for most, but I hope you don't use that as the only reason to get oneSmiley Happy There are many good cards out there to meet your needs. I am sure others will give their opinion. We have many experienced forum members. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that Capital One will hard pull all three credit bureaus.

If I apped for it, that would be the only reason.

Message 3 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Venture is only for travel.

Get Quick Silver for cash back.

You can have 5 open CC accounts at one time.

Even if you do not get approved for QS Siggy, you can start with QS and it can go over $10k CL down the road.

See my signature.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 12
manew57
Valued Member

Thanks,  I wouldnt just apply for a higher starting limit,  since I dont travel enough to warrant the rewards,  I think a QS would be the better deal when I decide to do that.  And just let the limits grow.

Message 5 of 12
happypill
Valued Contributor

Biggest benefit of the Venture is the 40k points sign-on bonus worth $400.  The drawbacks are the AF and the fact that you have to redeem for travel to get full value, which is fine for most people, but no good for some people that never travel.

Aside from that, the math is pretty simple.  Venture has a $59 AF and gives 2% rewards, QS has no AF and 1.5% rewards.  If you spend $12k a year or more, the rewards on the Venture overcome the AF and it is more valuable than the QS.  If you don't spend more than $12k per year, get the Venture only if you're mostly interested in the sign-on bonus.

Message 6 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Venture gives 1% cash and QS gives 1.5% with no annual fee.

its all about how much one travels.

you also get $100 and 0% for around 8 months.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

app for QS as well.  i just helped my dad apped 2 cards, venture and QS right after.  CTT showed one pull for all 3 which i will gladly take.  he got 15k venture, 10k on the QS.  720 myfico score, 80k income.

plan is to close the venture and move all the limits to QS at 11th month

Message 8 of 12
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@manew57 wrote:

I was wondering if I might get some opinions on the reason why to get a Venture card,  I dontt do much traveling,  is there really any advantage to getting the venture card,  other than what I have read on here about usually higher starting CL, and is the MC QS with no AF considered a starter card in Cap One's eyes.  I have one QS and a QS1 now.  I know the QS1 is considered a  starter. I have heard or read somewhere that you can only have 2 "starter" cards with them and not sure how many prime cards you can have.  The rewards on the QS is pretty good for me and dont really see the advantage of getting the Venture which I was pre qualified for on their site, other than it being a prime card, but wanting to get opinions.

The sign up bonus is the only reason I have a Venture card. I'd say that the biggest problem I have with it is that I don't really see how they justify charging a $59 AF for this product after the first year. Even if the card had no AF, it would still fall short of no-AF 2% alternatives simply because of the travel and gift card redemption restrictions. As a result, it's very easy for a savvy consumer to see right through Capital One's and Jennifer Garner's marketing. I would stick with the QS that you currently have for now, unless you want the Venture's sign up bonus and feel it is worth all of the inquiries that it comes with. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can also use the points as a 1 to 1 ratio for gift cards. I have used the 2% sometimes for ordering gift cards for presents or for myself when I know I will be shopping at certain stores(i actually just got a $300 gift card for Saks to pay for part of a new suit)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.