Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One - Would you close it?

tag
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

Cap One - Would you close it?

I have a recently opened CapOne Venture card with a crazy high (for me) CL - $20,000.

The thing is, I have two other cards that I use primarily for the rewards.  I've hardly used the CapOne since I opened it and probably won't, except for this tiny monthly charge that goes on it to show some usage.  This October, I'll be charged a $59 annual fee on it.

I also have dreams of getting a Chase Sapphire Preferred and an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred sometime in the next few months (with the AMEX coming first in the order of preference).  

I generally don't carry a balance on my cards, except for two 0% balance transfers that I'm working to pay off.  Right now I'm at about 9% utilization with the balance transfers.  If I close the CapOne card, that would bump me up to 14%-ish utilization until I get the balance transfers paid down sufficiently - which I think I can do in the next few months.  I guess there's no *real* hurry to close it... I'm just in that mode right now - wanting to streamline and get rid of things I don't need.  I'm also not hugely worried about having 14% utilization, since I don't plan to apply for credit again until I pay down a good bit on the balance transfers, which should bring my score up, right?  Not to mention that my AAoA should benefit from closing the CapOne.

I'd love some input from people who have been at this whole credit utilization/score tracking thing a lot longer than I have.

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap One - Would you close it?

@lolabelle wrote:

I have a recently opened CapOne Venture card with a crazy high (for me) CL - $20,000.

The thing is, I have two other cards that I use primarily for the rewards.  I've hardly used the CapOne since I opened it and probably won't, except for this tiny monthly charge that goes on it to show some usage.  This October, I'll be charged a $59 annual fee on it.

I also have dreams of getting a Chase Sapphire Preferred and an AMEX Blue Cash Preferred sometime in the next few months (with the AMEX coming first in the order of preference).  

I generally don't carry a balance on my cards, except for two 0% balance transfers that I'm working to pay off.  Right now I'm at about 9% utilization with the balance transfers.  If I close the CapOne card, that would bump me up to 14%-ish utilization until I get the balance transfers paid down sufficiently - which I think I can do in the next few months.  I guess there's no *real* hurry to close it... I'm just in that mode right now - wanting to streamline and get rid of things I don't need.  I'm also not hugely worried about having 14% utilization, since I don't plan to apply for credit again until I pay down a good bit on the balance transfers, which should bring my score up, right?  Not to mention that my AAoA should benefit from closing the CapOne.

I'd love some input from people who have been at this whole credit utilization/score tracking thing a lot longer than I have.

What are your other CL's?  You could always ask Cap1 to product change it to an account with no annual fee

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lolabelle wrote:

I'll comment on this part. Closing any card account will have no immediate affect on AAoA or credit length history. You can read more about that here: Closing Credit Cards.

Message 3 of 13
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

What are your other CL's?  You could always ask Cap1 to product change it to an account with no annual fee

That's a good thought, about the product change.  Thanks!

My others are:

AMEX - $12,700

BoA AMEX - $12,600

BoA AMEX - $5,100

Chase Visa - $4,000

Chase Visa - $4,500

I was thinking about trying for the AMEX BCP soon, but I'm a little concerned because even though I have no baddies, my FICO score is only 732 and I have 4 HPs in the past year.  One will age off (or be older than a year, anyway) in the next few days, so maybe that'll help a bit.  I just don't want to risk being declined.

Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)

Message 4 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Have you tried calling them to request that they waive the AF ?    Some people have reported success doing this, other haven't ~ but if the AF is the only reason you are considering closing then I'd call.

Also if you are looking to apply for other prime cards, like CSP, having another open CC with a large CL will help.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 13
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@lolabelle wrote:

I'll comment on this part. Closing any card account will have no immediate affect on AAoA or credit length history. You can read more about that here: Closing Credit Cards.

Ah, okay - so it has to actually age off before it's no longer factored in?

Message 6 of 13
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Have you tried calling them to request that they waive the AF ?    Some people have reported success doing this, other haven't ~ but if the AF is the only reason you are considering closing then I'd call.

Also if you are looking to apply for other prime cards, like CSP, having another open CC with a large CL will help.

No, not yet.  I haven't used it very much, so I'm not sure they're itching to keep me...

Message 7 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@lolabelle wrote:

No, not yet.  I haven't used it very much, so I'm not sure they're itching to keep me...

May I make a suggestion? If you will quote the person you are answering before typing your response it will make things much less confusing.

It's easy to do. After hitting "Reply" you'll see a "Quote" button just to the right of "Spell Check". Click on quote and then type your comment under the line separating the quote from your response.

Message 8 of 13
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

May I make a suggestion? If you will quote the person you are answering before typing your response it will make things much less confusing.

It's easy to do. After hitting "Reply" you'll see a "Quote" button just to the right of "Spell Check". Click on quote and then type your comment under the line separating the quote from your response.

Thank you!  I was wondering about how to do that...  it seems I'm missing all sorts of obvious things today.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
john398
Senior Contributor

I personally would not close a Capital One with a CL that big

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.