Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One...You're Fired!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One...You're Fired!!

Did you have a high AF on the card? Never really understood why people would close their oldest cards(unless it was credit one or the like) and take a hit on their AAoA down the line. I keep all my cards open. They are all no fee cards, and that is why i like the no fee cards. It doesnt hurt to keep them open forever.
Message 11 of 21
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@sunni_one wrote:

The day has finally come, I've decided to say the words: Cap One...You're Fired!!  It served it's purpose over the past 10 years.  Back in 2003 when I went through a credit crisis with a few accounts in collections, Cap One converted one of those accounts into their platinum CC.  CL started at $700, after a few year it went to $1,100, and there it stayed...for years, until last year I  when requested and received a bump up to $4,100.  By that time my limits had grown, plus several new accounts with much higher CL's.  

So Cap One, I bid you a fond adieu.  It's been real!!   Smiley Wink

To me it doesn't matter how big Capital One becomes, their products will always be a cheap ones in mind.

They were targeting people with bad credit in the late 80s, giving them high APR and anual fee credit cards with very low credit lines. I still have one of their first issued credit cards.

OP you did the right thing.

Message 12 of 21
sunni_one
Regular Contributor

@jologan79 wrote:

I'm thinking about firing them as well...But, I want a card to replace it with..

I've been with then for over 5 years..

CL at $1250 then last month they moved me to $1400..

I was like are you F'ing serious...A CLI of $150...

Plus, twice this week someone has made phone payments on my account to pay in full. (I never pay by phone)

The secone time it got through, so I had to canel my card and move funds into my checking account to cover the $900 payment.

Wow, $150?  I'm really side-eyeing Cap One right now!  Maybe you can try requesting some SP CLIs  to replace their limit.

BoA Cash Rewards $45k | Chase Freedom $37k | NFCU Platinum $34k | Discover It $30k | Total Rewards $27k | Amex SPG $20k
Hawaiian Air WEMC $20k | Overstock $20k | Citi Simp $18k | Citi DP $18k | Amex Hilton $15k | Chase Hyatt $15k | Best Buy MC $15k
Home Depot $15k | NFCU LOC $15k | Pottery Barn $15k | Wayfair $15k | Target MC $12k | Amazon $10k | Amex BCP $10k | JCP $10k
Macy's $10k | US Bank Cash+ $10k / LOC $8k | Old Navy Visa $5k | Amex Platinum

Fico 08 scores (7/18/17) EX: 771 TU: 770 EQ: 770
Message 13 of 21
sunni_one
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you have a high AF on the card? Never really understood why people would close their oldest cards(unless it was credit one or the like) and take a hit on their AAoA down the line. I keep all my cards open. They are all no fee cards, and that is why i like the no fee cards. It doesnt hurt to keep them open forever.

No, there was never a fee.  It was one of my older cards (10 years), but my oldest are from 1995 & 1997, so I'm okay with it.  I just can't justify keeping their card when I could see it wasn't going to grow.  Believe, I've tried several times for an increase.  Even last year when my scores were in the high 770's they turned me down---so, no thanks!

*Edited to include quote.

BoA Cash Rewards $45k | Chase Freedom $37k | NFCU Platinum $34k | Discover It $30k | Total Rewards $27k | Amex SPG $20k
Hawaiian Air WEMC $20k | Overstock $20k | Citi Simp $18k | Citi DP $18k | Amex Hilton $15k | Chase Hyatt $15k | Best Buy MC $15k
Home Depot $15k | NFCU LOC $15k | Pottery Barn $15k | Wayfair $15k | Target MC $12k | Amazon $10k | Amex BCP $10k | JCP $10k

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 3 Cap One cards and just recently dropped to 2. All three have annual fees and the first one was due to hit this month, I asked if they would waive it or PC, was told no. The card was a change over from HSBC, so I am not sure if that is why or not, but I have one from Orchard coming up soon and will do the same. The CL's have been very slow to increase, started at 500 over 9 years ago and it was up to 900. The other two cards are a bit higher at 1750 and 1970, but still after that many years it was a slow increase. If they don't PC to a non AF all three will get closed by the end of the year.

Message 15 of 21
sunni_one
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had 3 Cap One cards and just recently dropped to 2. All three have annual fees and the first one was due to hit this month, I asked if they would waive it or PC, was told no. The card was a change over from HSBC, so I am not sure if that is why or not, but I have one from Orchard coming up soon and will do the same. The CL's have been very slow to increase, started at 500 over 9 years ago and it was up to 900. The other two cards are a bit higher at 1750 and 1970, but still after that many years it was a slow increase. If they don't PC to a non AF all three will get closed by the end of the year.

Arumnus, I like the way you're thinking!!  

Message 16 of 21
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Message 17 of 21
biglista88
Regular Contributor

Congrats on firing Crap1. I'll be doing the same by years end. As you can see it's pretty much my lowest credit line, and appears that it'll stay that way. I earned 90$ in cash back from my NFCU card in one month with high usage , with no AF. You do the math. ....
REBUILD STARTED (AGAIN) 9/1/2023

Current Scores 4/4/24

“Breathing new life into a dead credit file”
Message 18 of 21
baller4life
Super Contributor

@biglista88 wrote:
Congrats on firing Crap1. I'll be doing the same by years end. As you can see it's pretty much my lowest credit line, and appears that it'll stay that way. I earned 90$ in cash back from my NFCU card in one month with high usage , with no AF. You do the math. ....

Don't you just love the cashback that accumulates on that card? I just transfer it over to my savings each month. I love free money. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@biglista88 wrote:

Don't you just love the cashback that accumulates on that card? I just transfer it over to my savings each month. I love free money. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately, some of us aren't able to do NFCU, though I recommended it to my manager since she is mother.

Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.