cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One card holders: Have you reported your card lost or stolen?

tag
Datx
Valued Contributor

Cap One card holders: Have you reported your card lost or stolen?

Does anyone know if you report your card lost or stolen with Cap One, do they issue you a new card number and add a new tradeline to your CRs? I can't seem to find my Cap One card and it has been awhile. I monitor the balance on that card (zero balance) every few days to make sure its not being used but I am hesitant to report it lost because I don't want a new TL to be reported on my CRs. I know it has to be at home somewhere, I just havent found it yet.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Cap One card holders: Have you reported your card lost or stolen?

I've done it at least twice over the years with Cap One.  As with probably every issuer, you do not get a new trade line, you get a new card number, but it is associated to your old *account* so you keep date of opening and all history.

Not totally sure if this applies here (it was this way in the UK) but NOT reporting a card as lost or stolen within a reasonable amount of time removed some of the liability protections, i.e. you are meant to act in good faith and inform them when you think the card has been lost.

Message 2 of 5
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

just to be on the safe side, i would get a new card...and like longtimelurker mentioned, you keep your TL and history. Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 5
Datx
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys. Im actually on a chat session with a rep from Cap One right now and is also saying the new account number will not show up as a new account or TL. Should have done this sooner, Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 5
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Wouldn't that be something if they put it as "closed at creditor's request", lol. No you will be fine as the CSR told you. Sadly, it's a question that needs to be asked though due to all kinds of craziness with lenders. 

You should tell them to up your CL or not to bother sending you a new card. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.