Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One cli

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Cap One cli

@JayRizzo wrote:

I've been a long-time customer of Capital One and it's well-known that Capital One's CSRs are not on the same page as far as providing accurate information.  Having been with them for so many years, you learn all about their practices, Do's and Don'ts.  Since each CSR believes they are 100% correct, I began to have them note my account and call back 20-minutes later to speak to another Senior Account Manager, not level-one CSRs, and receive a completely different answer.

Since there are so many conflicts between answers, which I believe is due to poor training, I began to use it to my advantage by having them compensate me for providing incorrect information.  So far, I've had several hundred credited to my account for these anomalies.

Here are some things you may not have known:

1. Yours Truly recently had the Backdoor number added to the stickies for Capital One's Senior Account Managers (800) 707-0489

2. Capital One has both a U.S. and Canada call center, so you'll be connected to one or the other

3. They do not have Supervisors, then have what's called "Floor Walkers".  These are people who the Reps wave over to spot-check the account or get on the call.

4. Capital One do not combine accounts (old news)

5. Cap1 do not approve customer-initiated CLIs (old news), be careful -- they will track this and use it against you for future auto-increases (check Documents online)

Wow, comprehensive and extensive experience you've got there.

I apologize for the potentially bringing a tangent on this thread, but from your knowledge of Cap One, would you agree that if a person has one of their subprime cards, they're better off closing it at some point, and reapplying for one of their "prime" cards, since they're subprime cards will never grow irrespective of a cardholder's credit improvement or history?

Thanks!

Message 11 of 15
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Capital One cardholders, as of mid-to-late last year, are allowed a maximum number of 2 cards.  The department responsible for product upgrades called "Venture upgrades department" at 877-513-9959 (listed in backdoor), only does a product change IF your account is eligible, which more than likely, it will NOT be so there's a very thin line of true Product Change as I've never read or experienced any but Capital One swears by it, of course.

Unsecured sub-prime / re-builder aka Credit Steps qualified accounts start with a minimum of $300 with a maximum cap of $3000 for accounts opened over the past year and a half.  Terms & Conditions may have been different 2+ years ago.

If you haven't reached the maximum with a sub-prime account, it may still have potential -- just no telling when that will happen (periodic reviews, ya know).

To qualify for one of their Prime accounts, you must select "Excellent Credit" while applying.  They have a legend on their web page that explains the criteria for Excellent, Average, and Limited credit requirements.  One key that stands out is, you must have an existing credit card (any card) with a $5000 credit line in good standing while your report must also be excellent -- no derogs.  Capital One have several different prime accounts to choose -- each with its own features.

If you have 2 Cap1 accounts and think you have what it takes to get one of their prime cards, you must first close one of your accounts and wait 30-days before applying for a prime card.  This is a gamble because you may or may not be approved.  I've read many posting across the internet of Capital One declining accounts for people with FICO scores of 760+.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had Capital One for almost 4 years and have never been given a CLI. Stuck at a$500.

Message 13 of 15
minerva
Established Member

I got my cap one standard plat on 6/10 with a $500 limit, on 9/10 i got a 250 increase and it's been sitting there ever since. my AF is due next month and from what ive been reading they dont offer PC or many ClI's.  im thinking of just kicking them to the curb since the card has been in our safe since 01/11. 

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 776
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 15
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Remember, you don't have to be or feel "stuck".  If you're in a good financial position to move on, then you can drop-kick Cap1 to the curb and move on.  Things to consider, of course, AAoA and AF.  With that said, you are still free to use your own judgement -- you may feel a slight separation sting internally, but ultimately, you're free.

After I reached my particular financial goal, I did a double spin-kick to my very first credit card in order to get away from the super-high AF and monthly membership fee - during that time FNB Marin charged both fees!!!  Simply put, I moved on to other cards that best suited my needs for a change.

I've been a long-time Capital One customer among other cards, but the day will come when I'll be ready to move on -- it's only business, nothing personal.  I'll just need to ice down my kicking leg before I make that call.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.