Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One finally shows me some love

tag
Roxlie
Contributor

Cap One finally shows me some love

I finally got a CLI from them. I got my first card ($500) from them back in Jan 07. I tried for a CLI in Jan 08 and the said no. So in May I applied for a new card and was approved for a $500 limit. I called back and had them combine the cards..no problem. I got the letter informing me of the credit steps program saying I would be increased 250 sometime after the third statement. So after my third statement cut this month I called to request a CLI after reading some people have luck calling after 3 statements and getting a CLI and then getting another later for credit steps.

So I called the backdoor # and she asked how much I was looking for. I said I wanted to try and get closer to my highest card which is 2250 on an Airtran card so I asked for at least 500.

She put me on hold for like 10 seconds and came back and said she could do 500 but no more because the card in only 3 months old.

Finally! So now I am expecting another 250 with for the credit steps which I was told when I called last week to ask about it would be added by the 5th statement. Any chance they might do more than $250?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
unknown_entity
Established Contributor

Re: Cap One finally shows me some love

You'll get either $500 or $750 when the credit steps kicks in. 
07/26/2007 TU-688
EQ-656
EX-649
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll definately will get 500.00.  I received this card 3 months ago with a 500 limit.  After the 3rd month I called the backdoor line and the rep. gave me a 500 cli and said I would not get the auto increase.  I checked my account a week later and there it was, the auto cli of another 500 for a total of 1500....in 3 mos....it does work.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just keep applying for new cards and combining them. Apparently there is no limit on the number of times that you can do this. It seems to be the best bet to getting a CLI with CapOne.
Message 4 of 12
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Just keep applying for new cards and combining them. Apparently there is no limit on the number of times that you can do this. It seems to be the best bet to getting a CLI with CapOne.

I want what you're smoking.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what Capitol One told me to do, just apply for another card and add it onto my existing one as there is no limit on the number of times that you can do this and it is the best way to get a higher limit with them. I don't plan to do it, as I am waiting until my old inquiries are gone to apply for a nicer card, but it may work for someone else.
Message 6 of 12
Roxlie
Contributor

Just to report back. The credit steps bumped me up $500. Not the $250 the originally told me.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool! I just paid off my third statement today. I will call the backdoor# tomorrow and see if this works for me too.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will probably get another 500.00 I got it on both my cards.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grrr.Smiley Mad It didn't work for me. I called and she said no cli was available and then tried to request one for me and I was denied. This trick definetly doesn't work for everyone.

Edit: I called the backdoor# ending in 0823.

Message Edited by Justn on 09-02-2008 01:29 PM
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.