Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One fraud

tag
dursty87
Established Contributor

Cap One fraud

I've had a card from Capital One for about 2 years that originally was a platinum MC that I PC'd to a Quicksilver about 8 months ago. Funny thing is, I've never even used the card. EVER. I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down due to inactivity. Heck, the card is still sitting in the envelope is was mailed in, unopened. I got an email from Cap One saying my statement was ready. I opened it and saw there was a balance and a minimum payment due. So I logged into my account and it appears someone had a field day with it in New York. I live in Florida and have never been to New York(although I would like to go some day). How is this possible? I mean, how does someone have my CC info when I have never used the card let alone open the envelope it was mailed in? They used it at a couple restaurants and a clothing store. Total charges were just shy of $500

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One fraud

You will drive yourself NUTS trying to figure out 1950's issues in a 206 world, friend.

The truth is whether you open that envelope or not the numbers exist (obviously, you see it was used)

none of this stuff exist in a bubble......the information exist on computers, in data banks, in files cards have to be physically created,

designed on and on and on....nothing is SECRET....

This is why we must be so vigilant in watching our accounts and reacting to the inevitable hiccups.....no way to NOT get the uniform dirty

playing this game anymore....we gotta have protection and be ready to defend....it's a GD shame but it's real world reality.

Glad you caught it early before it got messy and mixed up with your legit charges or months and monrhs after the fact......

Some have suggested that we know need PIN #'s for our credit cards now....who knows

Next time please open your mail and maybe freeze your card ?

Message 2 of 5
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@dursty87 wrote:

I've had a card from Capital One for about 2 years that originally was a platinum MC that I PC'd to a Quicksilver about 8 months ago. Funny thing is, I've never even used the card. EVER. I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down due to inactivity. Heck, the card is still sitting in the envelope is was mailed in, unopened. I got an email from Cap One saying my statement was ready. I opened it and saw there was a balance and a minimum payment due. So I logged into my account and it appears someone had a field day with it in New York. I live in Florida and have never been to New York(although I would like to go some day). How is this possible? I mean, how does someone have my CC info when I have never used the card let alone open the envelope it was mailed in? They used it at a couple restaurants and a clothing store. Total charges were just shy of $500

There can be a number of ways someone could have obtained the credit card number...including lucky guess based on someone else's card. Once a charge works with the number, they know it is valid. Of course, the good news is you are not responsible for fraudulant charges. The one thing that confuses me is if the card is still in the envelope it should have not even been validated...which usually must be done from your home phone, which capital one has on file.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@dursty87 wrote:

There can be a number of ways someone could have obtained the credit card number...including lucky guess based on someone else's card. Once a charge works with the number, they know it is valid. Of course, the good news is you are not responsible for fraudulant charges. The one thing that confuses me is if the card is still in the envelope it should have not even been validated...which usually must be done from your home phone, which capital one has on file.

Good point. I forgot about this. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dursty87 wrote:

Sorry this happened to you OP and thank you for sharing your story. You may want to check all of your accounts just to be safe. Please come back and update your thread with the outcome.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.