cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One froze brand new Venture card on literally first $90 purchase. What gives?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap One froze brand new Venture card on literally first $90 purchase. What gives?

@JSS3 wrote:
Everyone is saying, "Forget Capital One!" and I'm just here like "Why can't I win the lottery????" LOL.

OK totally off the subject but I'm like Smiley Surprised Me too!

Message 21 of 40
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One froze brand new Venture card on literally first $90 purchase. What gives?

I've been winning the lottery for 25 years. It's just been in $3-$5 increments
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 22 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

The sad thing about the lottery is usually most of its revenue are from people that really can't afford to play it in the first place and are chasing a dream to get them out of their current situation.  This isn't everyone by any means as I play it maybe once a month for a few dollars as do alot of other normal people, but I live downtown and a local convience store near me isn't in the "nicest" area of town and you see desperate people playing all the time, kinda sad.. Anyays, off topic, just figured I would add my thoughts on the lottery.

Message 23 of 40
sjt
Senior Contributor

@stonesfan75 wrote:

Hey all, so I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues? I just recently appied for both a Spark Select business for a new business I started last year, and  a personal Venture card and received both. The Spark has a $20,000 limit and Venture is $35,000. During the application process i got the 7-10 day message on the Venture, and they requested income verification. That has never happened to me before and i've had cards for over 20 years that are still active and have huge limits. Anywho, ended up faxing them my W2-G from last year that showed I won $750,000 in a scratch off lottery ticket and then another W2 for over 250k from my personal earnings...totaling about 1 million dollars.  SO...fast forward to today after activing my new Venture card. I wanted to use it right away at a restaurant with a potential client. Capital Grille, 3 miles away from my billing ZIP code.  Bam, declined. Then when I called in on the drive home they asked me about 15 different questions regarding my credit profile, including why I applied for so many cards in a short period (apparently they soft pulled me on the spot when I called), I told him I have millions of dollars in net worth and even showed you my W2-G before approval and that I don't need this crap and have no problem canceling the account as I honestly don't need it. This is when the rep got aggressive and told me to fax a copy of my drivers' license and SSN card over. I refused because I already faxed them private income info with my social on it. After requesting to then cancel both accounts the rep refused to and said one of the fraud prevention supervisors will be calling me in 10 minutes which they never even did...

On another note, I have had ZERO issues with Chase and Discover. Chase even gave me their CSP card with a $50,000 limit when I had over 15 inquries on my report (I  believe the private client bank manager pushed this through for me however because I have most of my $2.5M inheritance tied up in their accounts).  Still, the SAME DAY I got this card I went and charged over $15k at home depot for home improvement purchases and not even a phone call or text about the transaction! what a joke on Cap one's part. Ridiculous fraud prevention measures that are embarassing when trying to check out.

Congrats on your Scratch Off win!

Its so fustrating that so many banks want information after the application was approved #CounterIntuitive!

I would write to EO about your experience. They need to know.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 24 of 40
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:
Everyone is saying, "Forget Capital One!" and I'm just here like "Why can't I win the lottery????" LOL.

OK totally off the subject but I'm like Smiley Surprised Me too!

Be careful what you wish for. As OP's situation clearly shows, when you win the lottery, bad things happen to you Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 40
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JSS3 wrote:
Everyone is saying, "Forget Capital One!" and I'm just here like "Why can't I win the lottery????"LOL.

I just lost my sh&*^% literally reading this Smiley LOL  INTERNET HIGH FIVE

It's been said before, YMMV and this forum along with few others, I believe makes up only 15% of the credit card uses out there.  We know the tricks and share them.  Also, Cap1 is dumbfounded with a good salary and someone who HAS a massive savings to back it up.  Imagine here some dolt, "But..but..most of our clients make 50K a year and don't even have a savings account more than $2000!" Guffah. Guffah.  Conspiracy theorist, tis I. I believe they judge our apps questionably.

If you're torn, if I was you, besides the daydreams of winning more than $200, (fact, that happened) I would either rage quit Cap1 and let them kiss my brown sphincter while I close their cards and continue my relationship with Chase who has $$ eyes when they look at me OR...

Edit:

Submit the documents in question begrudgonly and tread lightly

Concur with Gdale, contact EO.

I rolled my eyes so much at this comment, I triggered a vertigo attack! I have two Cap1 cards, applied for both same day (sorta) and have income over 100k and savings/investments over 30k and did not need to verify my identity.

As to the OP, as another member said, tax returns are NOT ID. And there are ways to forge fake tax returns, so I don't think it was too much for Cap1 to seek additional verification in this case. I would suspect that they attempted to contact the OP in some form (or maybe even an indication on the site after s/he activated the card), because everyone here who's had to be verified additionally, mentioned knowing prior to making their first purchase.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 26 of 40
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

On my way to go buy a scratch off... Smiley Very Happy

Message 27 of 40
taxi818
Super Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:
I've been winning the lottery for 25 years. It's just been in $3-$5 increments

I won 10k last march Smiley Very Happy

Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lady. Perhaps it's my social circle then, as to my comment as unlike the higher salaries and/or smart investing, my circle does not and carries Cap1 cards. Rest yourself so that a CT isn't needed for Vertigo as that's a terrible diagnosis to be encumbered with.

Message 29 of 40
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lady. Perhaps it's my social circle then, as to my comment as unlike the higher salaries and/or smart investing, my circle does not and carries Cap1 cards. Rest yourself so that a CT isn't needed for Vertigo as that's a terrible diagnosis to be encumbered with.

I still don't see how you equate Cap1 to low income. Whenever I take my Venture card out, people always get this impressed looked on their face. I'm not sure if it's the look of the card, or they know what the VS means (at least a 5k CL). And yes vertigo is terrible, I've had severe episodes (lasting for days) since January and therefore already had a CT (among a million other test).  I'm currently in PT for it, which is helping tremendously. Which is why I can now joke about it! Smiley LOL

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.