Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One is Alright In My Book

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One is Alright In My Book

So today I decided to call cap one because my AF was coming up tomorrow. I first asked if I could change my regular "Platinum" card to the cash rewards card. Unfortunately the answer was no. Then she said I can lower your interest rate to 15.9% for 7 months.....I thought about it and said sure why not. Then I asked can my AF be waived seeing how I have been a great customer these past two years.........and surprise!!!!!!!!! She said yes! My mouth dropped. CapOne was there for me when no one would touch me with a 10 ft pole and continue to surprise me each and every day.

Have a Great Weekend Guys & as Always.....Happy Crediting :-)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One is Alright In My Book

I've never had an issue with them. They were the first to give me credit, and the first to help me rebuild after crashing and burning.

Hoping they'll continue to have faith in me when I apply for their Cash Rewards card in another 4-5 months (I've had their Secured card since March; have heard success stories of getting approvals for their other cards after ~6 months good history)

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's encouraging news. My AF is due to hit in a few months and I was planning on closing my CapOne right before since I've opened a few prime cards in the past 3 years but if they'll waive the AF then why not keep it an extra year to boost my AAoA

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly,

I mean my credit was uglier than ugly on an ape and over these past three years they still helped me to rebuild. I would love to have the Cash Rewards Card one day and when my credit gets better, I might go ahead and get it. I think they only let you have two Capone Personal Cards so eventually ill have to let one go. I woke up this morning saying if they don't waive the AF then its straight to the graveyard, but now this card is safe and sound for another year.
Message 4 of 11
noobody
Established Contributor

I have mixed feeling with them too

I have 2 cap1 cards, both over 10 years, $48AF each 

I paid off one of the card from Max(4.2k) to 0 in several years @ 3.99 apr last Oct., then ask for PC and AF waiver, they upgrade me to cap1 cash reward with no AF.

I will keep this card as it give me 1.5% cash back and no foreign transaction fee.

Was told call back in 6 month they will take care of the other card (1200 CL) , called last week, declined CLI, declined PC.

Because the computer says no offer is available on this account!

I do not need this card in any way, i have several other cards from 5K to 15K with rewards, would close it when AF is due at the end of year if they still refuse waive it.

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 5 of 11
lithium78
Established Contributor

Cap One was great for me while I was at the worst in my rebuilding process, but now it's kind of superfluous.  It's stuck at $1800 CL on the Platinum for the past three years with no rewards and a monthly fee of $3 (which they tacked on after two years of flawless payments.)  I'm just holding onto it until the credit limit on one of my prime cards makes up the difference and then it's getting the axe.  There's no point even asking them for a product change, because we all know how that goes with Cap One.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, I'm with you. Capital One is alright in my book, too. I got the Cash Rewards credit card (for average credit) in April, have used it heavily, and have not any problems. I like that you can see how much cash you have accumulated when you log in to your account online, rather than having to wait until your statement posts, like other rewards cards. Also, there are no revolving categories to remember. Granted, the rewards percentage is low, but at least it's simple--you always know what percentage of the purchase you'll receive in cash back. And you get double your rewards on your anniversary date. The mobile app is pretty slick as well.

Message 7 of 11
mkm77
Regular Contributor

I guess they "help" you by giving you a tiny ctedit line at a high rate and then normally charge an AF. Its a 2 way street I butI would never get too warm and fuzzy about them. Especilly when they refuse to grow with you and really become a " helpfull" line of credit. Its dis- heartening to do everthing by the book with them, see constant commercials on TV showing some of their decent products and then have them keep you in the dungeon with the rest of everyone trying to make it out of the starter card pit of hell with good behavior only to have them kick you back down the ladder while laughing at you in a foreign launguage. They throw a fresh rat down every now and again ( wave annual fee) to halt the up risings.
Message 8 of 11
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I'm ok with them being what they are, a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I want some prime card at some point and if CapOne will help me get there, so be it.

I wouldn't go too far as to say that some people might be expecting too much from them, but who knows, maybe they are.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with most of you that Capone is a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Yes I have acquired many "prime" cards as you guys call it, but lets be honest; how prime is a card when you get approved for an interest rate that's higher than Capone itself.....cough cough Chase Freedom....22.9%. I feel that people are more tolerant of the bs that big banks dish out; and they do this because they are what we consider "prime." Technically speaking if you have to put it on a credit card and not pay cash in the first place how prime is that?

I read posts all the time that say  "just got approved for such and such, however I'm not happy with the CL." When I read post like that I just shake my head and say since when are we entitled to having such great limits?

I put this post on here because everyday Capone issues an account to people who probably should not have an unsecured account, and they take that risk. They are one of the better companies out there for rebuilding. Its kind of given that this is a rebuilding company. So why expect much? If you are truly unhappy with the company after giving them your all, move on. You have that option now, but remember they had you first. They decided to give me a "fresh rat" by waiving my annual fee so I thought they deserved some good light for once. 

Just my $0.02.......and no, I do not work for Capone...I am a full-time college student. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.