cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One pending transactions disappeared?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One pending transactions disappeared?

My boyfriend took one of my QS1 cards with him on a trip out of town, just to use for gas and such on the way. The card has a $500 limit. On Saturday, I saw a few pending transactions pop up as he was travelling and my available balance went down. On Sunday, the pending transactions disappeared and the available credit restored back to $500. I chatted with a Cap One rep and she gives me some answer like "don't worry, they will post". Today, I still don't see any pending transactions, so I call them. The rep tells me that if I don't see them posted tonight, then the merchant must have cancelled the charges for me. Sorry, RepGuy, I don't think multiple gas stations chains randomly cancelled my charges; I'm not that lucky. Does anyone have a clue as to why this would happen? It should be noted that my other QS1 card is posting transactions as normal. Has this ever happened to anyone? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap One pending transactions disappeared?

@Anonymous wrote:

My boyfriend took one of my QS1 cards with him on a trip out of town, just to use for gas and such on the way. The card has a $500 limit. On Saturday, I saw a few pending transactions pop up as he was travelling and my available balance went down. On Sunday, the pending transactions disappeared and the available credit restored back to $500. I chatted with a Cap One rep and she gives me some answer like "don't worry, they will post". Today, I still don't see any pending transactions, so I call them. The rep tells me that if I don't see them posted tonight, then the merchant must have cancelled the charges for me. Sorry, RepGuy, I don't think multiple gas stations chains randomly cancelled my charges; I'm not that lucky. Does anyone have a clue as to why this would happen? It should be noted that my other QS1 card is posting transactions as normal. Has this ever happened to anyone? 

Its common for them to disappear off the pending board and then appear on the posted board later on the next banking day typically towards midnight. Cap-1 isnt the only one that does this. If they dont show tomorrow morning as posted then I would suspect there is some other problem.

Message 2 of 7
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

My Discover and NFCU charges seem to disappear a lot.  When it happens over the weekend, everything usually posts by Tuesday.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had this same issue paying for my car. I use my debit card and noticed that the funds were negatively removed from my account, then later that evening I had the funds back in my account. I started worrying like maybe there was an error? So I called Chase (my bank) and asked them what happened to the auto payment i Just made which showed up earlier...they told me they had no records of that sort of transaction..I called auto company and t hey verified it did post.

long story short, 3 days later, it was debited from my account but never came back as pending or anything else, just disappeared then reappeared..

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on the card activity you describe, fraud review is another possibility.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't worry. It is usually not the credit card companies themselves but the merchant that takes a while to verify. Once you or you S.O. swipes the card for a certain amount, that transaction is sent to the CCC. They then have to verify the total amount (if there was a tip in a restaraunt, or if the gas station put a $150 hold etc.). Sometimes the owners of the business take their sweet time; I know some that confirm same-day and others that will wait until the end of the week. Other times a merchant can have a pending transaction but will not take the money until they ship the item. 

Just try to keep a record of big transactions for piece of mind. They will appear sooner or later.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Happens to me all the time with my QS1 and always for gas.  I have the Cap1 wallet app, as soon as I swipe I get the auth notification for $1.  After I fill up I get the notification for the full amount and it will show credit for the $1 charge.  Full amount will be pending but next day it disappears.  Usually a day or two later it shows back up and clears.  

Of course the bad thing about this is if you're the type to run really close to your limit and a pending charge disappears then one may think they have more avaliable credit than they really do and end up going over limit.  Of course thats why you keep utili low and pay attention to what you spend, but we all know that.  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.