Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap one

tag
eaglesilas
Valued Member

Cap one

I tried to get a CLI on my QUS card an the message came back my monthy payments to low. last week i paid the 2000 of and I tried yesterday and iI got the same message ,monthly payment to low, but the card is payd of.My last CLI was 12/16.What I can do,call there or wait to next month.

feico 8 739 at BofA

Amex blue cash everyday $10,200 , BofA Rewards VISA 10,000,Discover IT 20,000.Cabela's 5,000,Walmart MC 10,000,Lowes 14,000,BarclayCard Rewards 10,000,Amex Sky 5,000, Capital One QS Visa 4750,Capital one Venture 11,000,Ring 5,000,Citi Simplicity 5,000 ,Home Depot 7,000 ,JCP 10,000 ,HSBC 5,000 , Discover Miles 5,000 , Amazon Store 7,000 ,Chase Amazon Visa 5,000 , Best Buy Visa 10,000 ,QS 5,000 ,Venture 5,000 ,US Bank 7,000 ,Dell 1000,BofA Cash 5000,Tinker MC 2000,
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Cap one

When Capital One gives that reason in their CLI denial letters it means they want a pattern of use and paying more than the minimum every statement. Just paying off a good chunk or in full in one month won't be enough for them. They want to see that history of doing that before giving CLIs. If anything wait til next month since it won't hurt to ask with the SP requests.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your utilization on this card and what is your overall utilization across all cards?

Most of the time when you see this denial reason, it's because utilization is or has been at > 30% recently, from my experience.

Message 3 of 10
eaglesilas
Valued Member

the card is paid of .i had 3000 on the card paid twice 200 and 600 last week I paid 2000 off.

My overall UT is 15 .% . total CL 148000

Will try next month again

Amex blue cash everyday $10,200 , BofA Rewards VISA 10,000,Discover IT 20,000.Cabela's 5,000,Walmart MC 10,000,Lowes 14,000,BarclayCard Rewards 10,000,Amex Sky 5,000, Capital One QS Visa 4750,Capital one Venture 11,000,Ring 5,000,Citi Simplicity 5,000 ,Home Depot 7,000 ,JCP 10,000 ,HSBC 5,000 , Discover Miles 5,000 , Amazon Store 7,000 ,Chase Amazon Visa 5,000 , Best Buy Visa 10,000 ,QS 5,000 ,Venture 5,000 ,US Bank 7,000 ,Dell 1000,BofA Cash 5000,Tinker MC 2000,
Message 4 of 10
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

You may have to wait until CapOne systematically reviews your account again.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe that paying your balance off automatically causes them to then review your account.  My best guess is that the message you're receiving is based on a past review of your account.   Give it some time and continue to use your card responsbility and hopefully that'll yield you a better result.  Good luck!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have given up on cap one and CLI. I have 2 cards with them, one being my oldest card of 23 yrs and has my lowest limit of $1200. I requested a CLI early June and was denied due to "minimum pmt too low". Not a big deal, my balance is never much more than $500 and interest is decent so I typically pay $30 on the $25 min due. For all of June, July, and Aug I increased my useage and made numerous pmts from $50-$100 2-3x a week. Every time I use the card, I make a pmt the next day to cover the charge and then some. My statement just cut on 8/23 so I submitted another CLI request. Again, I was denied. But this time they listed several bogus reasons - this time my revolving balances are too high and my credit score too low. Their own credit wise has my score at 718 and my actual FICO is over 750. I also just paid off all but two of my cards and made sure they had reported before requesting CLI. I called customer service and rep was apologetic but unhelpful. I asked for a supervisor and was transferred. She was also apologetic but unable (or unwilling) to help. I explained that I was a long time, loyal customer who has never been late. She confirmed after looking thru my history. I explained this was one of 2 cards I wanted to continue using but was hindered by the low limit which caused me to consistently be near 50% utilization on that card. She again apologized but said there was nothing she could do and that there was no who could manually review my account for approval...it's all computer generated.  It's strange that I applied for a citi preferred diamond that same day and was instantly approved for $3200 SL. With the 0% 21 mo bal transfer perk, I will be transferring cap one's $523 balance and moving on. I'll use CO for my monthly Netflix pmt just to keep it open but nothing more. I'm extremely disappointed and discouraged by their lack of accommodation for long term, loyal customers Smiley Sad   My advice, don't waste your time and go with a company who values and grows with their customers. 

Message 6 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

SingleMom: Probably started out as a so called starter card. If it says Platinum, its lower tier. If so. Starter cards will never be treated as Cap1's prime cards. You wont get much more than that. Rare but it does happen not by much. Usage, years account has been open, yada yada yada. Its stuck. Sorry about your situation. But after 23 years. Its a great history card that helps your AAoA and/or oldest card. Its helping more than what it might seem. Like you said. Run a small monthly bill on it. Keep it.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. And it was a plat starter card years ago and was upgraded to a QS. I understand that it’ll never have a huge limit, but they haven’t raised it in over 10yrs and these past two mos are the first requests ever made. Honestly, they could at least match my QS 1 card at $1750.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rather than paying AF on the QS1 for the same 1.5% CB, I would look into combining QS1 into QS and make it a 3k card, keep the age, no AF and same 1.5%.
Message 9 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Rather than paying AF on the QS1 for the same 1.5% CB, I would look into combining QS1 into QS and make it a 3k card, keep the age, no AF and same 1.5%.

+1 There ya go Single Mom. Solved.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.