Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 AF removal possible on just basic platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 AF removal possible on just basic platinum

I believe these two card were converted from HSBC and CapitalOne keeps sticking me up for 29 and 59 fees every year. Can't lose them because of AAoA Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap1 AF removal possible on just basic platinum

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe these two card were converted from HSBC and CapitalOne keeps sticking me up for 29 and 59 fees every year. Can't lose them because of AAoA Smiley Mad

My QS MasterCard was originally HSBC/Orchard, and I had similar issues with the AF.  HSBC waived it a few times, but once it became Capital One in 2013 they would only waive half of it, which in my case was especially lousy since my AF was $79... half was still 50¢ more than somebody with a brand new account at that time would pay. 

Last spring they finally gave me an upgrade to a QS, which is the only reason I have the card today; I actually got my QS Visa with the intention of closing the (then) QS1 MasterCard, but at the 11th hour they upgraded it to a no-fee QS so I kept it.

Keep in mind that closed cards can continue to report (and be included in AAoA) for up to 10 years; in my case it's not so much AAoA that I was concerned with but it's also my oldest bankcard so as long as it's not costing me anything I'll keep it around.  I understand your aggravation, though...

During my 'quest' for an upgrade I was told by one CSR that they evaluate accounts every three weeks; I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I did finally decided to start checking with them monthly after I was told this... fortunately only a couple of months later the upgrade was "available".

I know this isn't extremely helpful... if you haven't already, check for an upgrade, and at a minimum they should be able to waive half the fee once it posts to the account (I was never able to get an adjustment until after the AF posted; calling beforehand was useless).  Of course when you call always ask them to waive the entire fee, and let them counter (you might get lucky).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a card from Orchard Bank/HSBC Visa that turned into a QS1 Visa when Cap1 took it over.   The original account was open since 10 /2011 and came with a $59 AF that carried over to the QS1 and I have never had an offer to PC to the no AF QS even though I had a perfect payment history since the card was opened.  I also tried getting the AF waived every year but it was hit or miss if they granted it. Smiley Mad

After I joined MyFico in Jan 2016 and started hearing about the Cap1 EO, I reached out to them to see if they could PC or waive the fee for the year for since I have been a good customer since they took over the account and with HSBC since 2011, never late on payments and still couldn't get an offer to PC. Someone from the EO office got back to me and said they couldn't PC me to the QS but they could permanently waive the AF.   I agreed and they sent me new terms and conditions and now I have a QS1 Visa with no AF.  

The plan was for me to close the QS1 and roll it into a QS with no AF I had PC'd from a platinum card, but I really wanted to keep the QS1 because it came from HSBC with a 14.5% APR that Cap1 has not changed...way better than the 24.99% on my PC'd QS Smiley Wink  With no AF on it anymore, I had no reason to close it since even though it is a QS1 it has the all the same cash back features of a QS and I get to keep the history, so I combined the limits on the cards and closed the QS Mastercard due to the high APR.  

Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my Orchard converted to a quicksilver, and got the fee taken away. It never became a regular Platinum.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.