Did you mean: 

Cap1 CC fraud dept calling people About breach

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Cap1 CC fraud dept calling people About breach

@Anonymous wrote:

I know you cant post the actual phone number, but can you share where they called from? I received two calls today from Vegas, and I couldn't find out who it was. Id hope cap one would leave a message or send email if someone didn't answer. Its probably just another spam call I received. 

Thanks for for the heads up though!

It was from Cap1.  I got the employee name, and her employee ID #, told her to call me back in 5 min, I wanted to call them back. I hung up, called them it was the line to the fraud dept (the recording of , Thanks for calling Capotal one came on), and she called me back. She verified all my acct info, without me telling her what it was. Not once did she ever ask for my SSN or to verify last 4 digits, but she verified everything else. my number started with 800-427-****

Message 31 of 60
bk510
Valued Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@bk510 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

I'm currently grocery shopping in Walmart and get a call from the fraud dept at Cap1 to let me know that my card "may be one of the card numbers" compromised in another major fraud security breach. Great... Just ....great. Cabelas , now cap1. They deactivated my card, (I had already used it twice today just fine), and was on my way to check out when I got the call. Used my Navy card instead. 

They told me since the company had not yet gone public with the security breach, they themselves couldn't tell me, and were not at liberty to tell me which company it was. I'm thinking of going all cash from here on out. Having credit is becoming such a hassle to have! The fraud lady told me they are calling in excess of at least 10k cardholders right now. (Sighs)

Please do not take this offensively or anything but yes, the more credit you have, the more there is to manage. It makes a case for keeping the list of cards shorter and simpler.

This isn't about my available credit, it's about the ongoing security breaches that continue to happen in this country, and what a hassle it is for everyone involved with these breaches. Let's not turn this into a "personal thing" ok, I'm letting peeps know that they may or may not be getting a call if they have a cap1 card from fraud dept. 

I agree, There should be an automatic 20 yrs sentence for these crooks......With school shooting happening every other week it seems....

I hope you wouldn't stop there. Many of our corporations have violated every conceivable law out there and while they generally get hit with hefty fines, the fines are far and away below the profit they make from the bad deeds (like one corporation that was hit with a 700+ Million fine but the profit it made was over 8 Billion). And those who run the corporations rarely go to jail. 

I'm not disagreeing with you here, just see a lot of people ready to throw citizens in jail for being crooks, but corporations you almost never see much complaining about that. Mostly momentary disgust and then forgiveness.

yeah, you are right unfortuneately.

Only in America.....I tell ya.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 32 of 60
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@bk510 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

I'm currently grocery shopping in Walmart and get a call from the fraud dept at Cap1 to let me know that my card "may be one of the card numbers" compromised in another major fraud security breach. Great... Just ....great. Cabelas , now cap1. They deactivated my card, (I had already used it twice today just fine), and was on my way to check out when I got the call. Used my Navy card instead. 

They told me since the company had not yet gone public with the security breach, they themselves couldn't tell me, and were not at liberty to tell me which company it was. I'm thinking of going all cash from here on out. Having credit is becoming such a hassle to have! The fraud lady told me they are calling in excess of at least 10k cardholders right now. (Sighs) 

also..was told that Cap1 just got the list of their CC's that "could have been comprised in the breach", early this morning. They dont know when the breach happened, they said it could have been 1 month ago, a few weeks or days ago. 

So far, Ive not seen any fraudulent activity on my card, so they are replacing everyones card that they got in the list. 

That's just marvelous.....So what do I do now? lol

Well, you continue using your card, until its either A: deactivated, B: their fraud dept calls you and tells you that your number may have been in a security breach with a retailer. I would say business as usual until you hear from them. 

Message 33 of 60
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Sorry you're dealing with this twice now Pizza. 

A couple of days ago I was attempting to send my brother some money via Western Union, and my transaction would not go through. I called Capital One up, and they said per Visa/Mastercard, my card had been compromised by a merchant data leak, and they were taking proactive steps to limit the chance of fraud. They let my transaction go through, but then cancelled my card. 

Here's where it gets complicated: I know who the merchant is, it's my employer. I know this because I work it IT secuirty and I am currently involved in an investigaton with our credit card processor and FBI Special Agents to find out what kind of breach we have, if any. The unfortunate part is that we most likely do not have a breach, but instead a bug in our point of sale systems that were causing the wrong cards to be charged. Of course, since these people had their cards charged incorrectly, it looks like fraud. 

Message 34 of 60
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

A couple of days ago I was attempting to send my brother some money via Western Union, and my transaction would not go through. I called Capital One up, and they said per Visa/Mastercard, my card had been compromised by a merchant data leak, and they were taking proactive steps to limit the chance of fraud. They let my transaction go through, but then cancelled my card. 

Here's where it gets complicated: I know who the merchant is, it's my employer. I know this because I work it IT secuirty and I am currently involved in an investigaton with our credit card processor and FBI Special Agents to find out what kind of breach we have, if any. The unfortunate part is that we most likely do not have a breach, but instead a bug in our point of sale systems that were causing the wrong cards to be charged. Of course, since these people had their cards charged incorrectly, it looks like fraud. 

Were you trying to send Western Union funds with a credit card? Since when is that allowed? Where I work, and anywhere else I've seen it, it's cash or debit only. That may be the real reason it wasn't going through.

Message 35 of 60
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Eh, for me this is exactly what credit cards are for. I'm never going all cash or debit, unless there is significant financial incentive to do so.

Credit card companies are great for the user for fraud, most companies have it so that you have no liability. Some overnight cards to you as a convenience. These things are pretty good to me.

Not surprised, but wonder what in the world will be the eventual next step for the financial world? I would think that the EMV is merely a temporary solution.
Message 36 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's be honest, this is standard fair for CC and everything and anything online. We have to just deal with it. You can't stick your head in the stand. And you can't forgo using CC in place of cash or checks alone. That's just not reasonable.

At least you have CC fraud protection. The same can't be said for your debit card. That's why I have dramatically cut back use of my debit card. Plus you get no points for using the debit card typically or almost next to nothing. Use your cc and just be prepared. I use my cc like a debit card. I tend to turn around and make a payment upon use.

Now I will be locking my EX/TU file this weekend after the EX breach. My EQ was already locked.  

Message 37 of 60
Open123
Super Contributor

@Kenny wrote:
Eh, for me this is exactly what credit cards are for. I'm never going all cash or debit, unless there is significant financial incentive to do so.

Credit card companies are great for the user for fraud, most companies have it so that you have no liability. Some overnight cards to you as a convenience. These things are pretty good to me.

Not surprised, but wonder what in the world will be the eventual next step for the financial world? I would think that the EMV is merely a temporary solution.

+1

In this day and age, I'd have to have considerable incentive to revert back to cash, and can't envision any scenario using Debit.

Cash isn't the panacea some Merchants believe or claim it to be.  First, there's the cost and time to handle cash transactions, which always (from human error and theft) results in 5% of slippage.  Second, the time, cost, and risk to carry the "cash" to the Bank.  Third, Merchants with tons of cash are high targets for robbery.  And, finally, some establishments mandate "cash only" more for the purpose of tax evasion than for reducing CC transaction costs. 

CCs or whatever electronic transactions reduce the risk theft (0% liability, max $50 under Federal law) and lowers the cost to do business.  As a consumer and business, my benefits are:  (1) no cash, can't be robbed; (2) rebate on my expenditures and consumption; and, (3) most importantly, I prefer having a detailed record of all my transactions, which makes it easier for me to track and file taxes/audits. 

Message 38 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

+1

In this day and age, I'd have to have considerable incentive to revert back to cash, and can't envision any scenario using Debit.

Cash isn't the panacea some Merchants believe or claim it to be.  First, there's the cost and time to handle cash transactions, which always (from human error and theft) results in 5% of slippage.  Second, the time, cost, and risk to carry the "cash" to the Bank.  Third, Merchants with tons of cash are high targets for robbery.  And, finally, some establishments mandate "cash only" more for the purpose of tax evasion than for reducing CC transaction costs. 

CCs or whatever electronic transactions reduce the risk theft (0% liability, max $50 under Federal law) and lowers the cost to do business.  As a consumer and business, my benefits are:  (1) no cash, can't be robbed; (2) rebate on my expenditures and consumption; and, (3) most importantly, I prefer having a detailed record of all my transactions, which makes it easier for me to track and file taxes/audits. 

A bit OT, but I watched a show called High Profits on a store in Breckenridge CO when pot was first legalized there. I never would have thought about all the issues surrounding it being legal in the state but illegal federally. Cash, cash, cash. They couldn't bank anything. Scary. 

Message 39 of 60
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

Were you trying to send Western Union funds with a credit card? Since when is that allowed? Where I work, and anywhere else I've seen it, it's cash or debit only. That may be the real reason it wasn't going through.

On their website. They allow credit cards. 

Message 40 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.