Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 CLI

Hi all. I applied for a cap1 platinum immediately after my very first auto loan ever. Thanks to the info on this group! I believe it's been 4 mos.(approximately) and I've been upgraded to QS1 & received a 3x CLI. Bought some stuff on Black Friday kept my utilization under 30% but decided to carry a balance this month. My question is how does cap1 feel about that? When will my score recover? Will it affect a CLI in the future? When can I ask for another increase? #hookedontheluvbutton
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 CLI

Cap one doesn't care about carrying a balance like other cards, especially at the current utilization you have. Your score recovers when you pay your balances down if it was in fact utilization causing it to drop. Generally cap one CLI's are given six months from the last CLI. You can always ask anytime but like I said they usually will grant them every six months. If they decide to randomly give you one that's another story.
Message 2 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all. I applied for a cap1 platinum immediately after my very first auto loan ever. Thanks to the info on this group! I believe it's been 4 mos.(approximately) and I've been upgraded to QS1 & received a 3x CLI. Bought some stuff on Black Friday kept my utilization under 30% but decided to carry a balance this month. My question is how does cap1 feel about that? When will my score recover? Will it affect a CLI in the future? When can I ask for another increase? #hookedontheluvbutton

I am sure that Capital One does not care about you carrying a balance. The problem occurs when one has a balance and only pay the min payment each month. No it will not affect you receiving a cli in the future. Capital One has a strict 6 month policy on CLI. However you should be enrolled in the credit steps and you will get an increase around your 5th or 6th statement cut. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks. That was my next question. I should still be eligible for my automatic increase as I requested one early. Praying for a double up! I paid the minimum due and it will report a high balance this month. Will knock it out in a couple of weeks but it was worth it buying presents for the fam!🤗
Message 4 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Yes I requested a CLI in my fourth month and got one and got the credit steps increase at the six month mark. The steps CLI is not affected by another CLI as long as you follow the rules for the steps.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a CLI on my Cap1 Platinum, I was on a credit step program after making my first 5 payments, I called and said it will reflect a $200 CLI automatically but did offer to go through the automated phone process for a CLI request. They increased it by $500 dollars making it $800 and have and 200 coming in January!!!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the credit step rules?
Message 7 of 9
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Make at least the minimum payment on time for 5 or 6 payments sorry can't remember exactly off the top of my head. But it's no more than the sixth statement.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx. I should be good then
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.