Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Journey Denied for this reason?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Journey Denied for this reason?

Hi All,

I recently applied for the Cap1 Journey card, but was faced with a denial. They told me to wait a couple days for an email containing the reason why I was denied. I just recieved the email today, and it lists these reasons:

- Based on your credit report from Equifax, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable

- Based on your credit report from Experian, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable

- Based on your credit report from Trans Union, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable

I don't get it. Does this mean I don't have any credit reports from the 3 bureaus? I'm 21 if it makes any difference.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Journey Denied for this reason?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I recently applied for the Cap1 Journey card, but was faced with a denial. They told me to wait a couple days for an email containing the reason why I was denied. I just recieved the email today, and it lists these reasons:

- Based on your credit report from Equifax, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable

- Based on your credit report from Experian, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable

- Based on your credit report from Trans Union, credit bureau information is missing or unavailable

I don't get it. Does this mean I don't have any credit reports from the 3 bureaus? I'm 21 if it makes any difference.

Do you have fraud alerts or security freezes on your reports?  How old is your credit?  If new, it can take six months to generate scores. 

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest to apply for any even small security card, your credit file still will be thin, but at least CB's will aware about you.

ps. I did so - and I get Cap1 Journey with thin file and 0 score 3-4 days after I applied for secured CC.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irish80, No, I don't have any fraud alerts nor security freezes. This will be my FIRST line of credit ever in my entire life. How do I find out how old my credit is, and how do I get the ball rolling in order for that 6 months to pass?

Message 4 of 8
PinkPanther3719
Contributor

Do you have anything like a loan? I got my card when I was 20 in 2012. I was approved, but I had student loans from 2010. I would try emailing or call the EO and explaining your situation. What's your income?

Current Information (05/2016)
Scores: EX: 633, EQ: 619, and TU: 727
Current Utilization: ?%

Goal: All above 750 and no more than 3% utilization
Gardening until 12/31/16 (Hopefully)
Message 5 of 8
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

You probably have a thin file.  (my wife did, she got the same responses at first)

To start it off, id go for secured cards or try the capitalone prequal on their site.  Not great cards or limits, but great starting out points.

For secured cards, the bank you already have a checking account with or pretty much any secured credit card just to get you started.

*edit*
Have anyone that can add you as an AU to a few cards?  I added my wife to 2 of mine, about a month later she went from denied to approved at cap 1.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me too; I was 18, no credit history at all, app'd for Freedom and was approved on recon because I've banked with Chase for almost two years.

App'd for Journey a few weeks later, declined...

If you're a student, I would try for the Student Discover It. I've heard they're pretty lenient in handing out credit to someone with no (or a short) credit history, as long as you can prove that you're a student. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should become an authorized user on someone's card for a few months and then try again.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.