Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 NCHR vs GCR wonderments

tag
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Cap1 NCHR vs GCR wonderments

So we all know that the $39AF Capital One No Hassle Cash Rewards card is no longer applicable and that it's been replaced by the Green Cash Rewards $39AF for Average Credit.

I happen to have a C1NHCR, and Cap One's pre-approver is saying I'm pre-approved for both the regular rebuilder Platinum and the new GCR for Average Credit.

I'm not going to apply for either, but I wonder what would happen if I app'd for the GCR it's offering.  Would they kill my NHCR or would I have both?  As a side note, I noticed that despite having a NHCR, I was "preapproved" for an NCHR about a month ago and wondered if I could have two or if they'd kill one.

I really hope they don't PC me, I like the 2% on gas/groceries more that 1.5% across the board.  I've done the math and I'm better off the way I am now.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap1 NCHR vs GCR wonderments

Think only a CSR could answer that question fully.

If you think you're better off with what you have, I'd simply not even bother calling unless for some reason you really want another C1, and a suboptimal one at that for your spending habits, right now.

        
Message 2 of 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Oh, like I said, I'm not calling.  I don't want to rock any boats.

But my mind wandered at work today and this is what it landed on.  Smiley Very Happy

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing to keep in mind is that they may automatically convert you to the new card if they're discontinuing the old one, either now or when your card comes up for renewal. I don't think it will hurt to call and find out. At least you will know.

Message 4 of 7
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

I have that in mind!  That's why I put "I hope they don't PC me".  And I disagree, it can hurt to find out... here's the conversation:

Me: Will you be changing my card into a GCR?

Peggy:  Ok, I've gone aheand and changed your NHCR card to a GCR.  Congratulations.  I've also lowered your limit.

Me: Noooooo!  I didn't want to do that!

Peggy: Yes you did.  You asked if I could change card.

Me:  Nooooooo!  Please change me back.

Peggy:  Ok, I cancel card.  There is $300 cancellation fee... like verizon.

Me: Nooooooo!

Peggy: Have a nice day. <click>

Smiley Frustrated

-SM

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SoulMaster wrote:

I have that in mind!  That's why I put "I hope they don't PC me".  And I disagree, it can hurt to find out... here's the conversation:

Peggy:  Ok, I've gone aheand and changed your NHCR card to a GCR.  Congratulations.  I've also lowered your limit.

Smiley Frustrated

-SM

lol i guess with cap 1 you never know!

Message 6 of 7
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@SoulMaster wrote:

Smiley Frustrated

-SM

This would be so funny except it almost did happen to me when I asked a similar question via Chat several weeks ago. The CSR thought I wanted to close my NHCR when I asked if my Platinum could be PC'd to another NHCR. Luckily, I got a supervisor on the Chat line who understood what I was asking and happily told me I couldn't PC--but at least my NHCR wasn't closed. I sent a letter to the CEO with a print of the Chat log immediately after (along with some other insane Chat logs).

Like many others, I'm grateful for having the 2 Cap1 cards that I have so I can rebuild, but contact their customer service at your own risk.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.