Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Over Limit Fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Over Limit Fee

I've had my Cap1 card since 4/08.  In June I apparently went over limit...I didn't understand how it was possible but I just let it go.  I did feel responsible for it because I really did go over limit and I should have kept better track of my spending, but we just bought a house and we've been spending money on stuff for the house and PIF.  The CL goes fast and it's easy to lose track that way Smiley Wink

I logged in to my account today and saw I was assessed a $39 over limit fee!  I couldn't let that go.

I called customer service to ask how they allow you to go over limit instead of denying the charge and got an offshore rep who tried to explain that sometimes they allow that but he didn't know what the limit was and couldn't really explain why.  He also suggested that it was due to a pre-authed charge, which I obviously would have remembered doing.  I asked for a supervisor to get a better answer.  He transferred me to an account rep onshore who explained that they do allow it because it could be an emergency.  I told him that I couldn't help but think it was a rip-off to be able to charge the $39 fee.  He said that he could turn it off on my account if I wanted to so it wouldn't happen again, which I gladly accepted.  I would much rather be declined and have to use a different card than to go over limit! 

I explained to him that I've had the card 3 months and that I was hoping to get a CLI at my 4th month and that I was worried that this would prevent the CLI.  He looked at my account, told me that I manage my account great and that the one-time over limit will not affect my CLI, so I should definitely get one next month, which is great!  He then told me he was going to remove the $39 fee!  I didn't even ask him to, he just did it!

I was amazed that he took the fee off! Smiley Surprised

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
voidman
Established Contributor

Re: Cap1 Over Limit Fee

wow, didn't expect this from Cap 1, as I heard that Cap1 likes to charge all kinds of charge on a low limit cards, that is why they keep low limits so that people go over the limit soon.

Well i guess its not that crappy any more Smiley Happy
-void
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome!  Congrats!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing happened to me. The Cap1 rep I talked to told me that in most cases when someone calls and explains their situation and they feel like the person just made a honest mistake they'll always let the 1st one slide. Plus he gave me a $300 CLI so it wouldn't look like i went over the CL on my reports.

Message Edited by l9ikjam on 07-11-2008 01:34 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, a CLI too?  That's even better! 

Fortunately I realized that I did go over limit before the cycle closed, so I paid it off before they reported.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.