Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Pre-Approval Question

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Cap1 Pre-Approval Question

In my experience with applying if I did not get a pre-approved offer on Cap1 website and applied for one of the "suggestions" I was denied instantly.

But when I do the pre-approval on creditcards website, they suggest 5 different Cap1 and a First Premier.

I assume I should stick to if Cap1 says I'm pre-approved and ignore this other site?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap1 Pre-Approval Question

I am not sure but I just tried creditcards.com and it came up with 5 capital 1 and a first premere as well but I already have 3 capital 1 cards so no way  I would be approved for a 4th

Message 2 of 7
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Yeah, I stopped using the creditcards.com pre approval page but when I used to it would do the same for me. 5 cap1's and a First Premier. Two of the cap1's were Ventures, which I most certainly would get denied for.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

Yeah, I stopped using the creditcards.com pre approval page but when I used to it would do the same for me. 5 cap1's and a First Premier. Two of the cap1's were Ventures, which I most certainly would get denied for.

Yeah, I'd have to agree, I'm not sure what they base ther recommendations off of, but I don't think they're very realistic. Based on my credit profile they recommended an AMEX BCP, and I'm 95% sure I'd immediately get shot down if I tried to apply for it.

I would definitely stick to the card issuer's own preapprovals for preapproval recommendations - and even then, it's not like it's a guaranteed approval.

Message 4 of 7
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

Where is the pre-approval link on the creditcards.com site?

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

https://www.creditcards.com/cardmatch/

@crazysxycool wrote:

Where is the pre-approval link on the creditcards.com site?

Message 6 of 7
sandsanta
Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

In my experience with applying if I did not get a pre-approved offer on Cap1 website and applied for one of the "suggestions" I was denied instantly.

But when I do the pre-approval on creditcards website, they suggest 5 different Cap1 and a First Premier.

I assume I should stick to if Cap1 says I'm pre-approved and ignore this other site?

That website is a sham.  It told me to apply for the Venture card and I was instantly denied.  Go through Cap1 instead.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.