Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 QS1 CLI won't budge, but still worked out...I guess

tag
SecondWind
Valued Member

Cap1 QS1 CLI won't budge, but still worked out...I guess

I have a Cap1 QS1 card w/ $300 limit that hasn't budged since it converted from HSBC years ago.  No matter how many CLIs I request through the website, or through chat, or calling Customer Service, all I get is a "no" of some sort.  

So I tried online chatting again yesterday asking if I could convert QS1 to QS...nope, account not eligible.  While I'm on chat, I log in and request an increase for my other 2 non QS Cap1 cards and instantly get approved for an additional $1k on both bringing them to $4k and $2.5k.  Still no love on the QS1 though...all while chatting online!  I asked to convert one of my other Cap1 cards to QS1 and they said okay and did it right there.

Looks like I will just close my $300 QS1 before AF hits even though its 5+ years old.  I really want a cash rewards card because I started using one high limit card for all my daily purchases and then paying the balance each month.  Discover it Student said yes to me on Sunday for $500 so maybe I can convert and up my CL with them one day after graduation.  

I was thinking about trying the Facebook or EO contact route but maybe trying a backdoor number today first to see if I get any movement there, but if these last options don't work, I guess I will have to close this little guy.  Can anyone suggest or PM me an appropriate backdoor number for this issue?

Starting Score (January 2013): 537
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cap1 QS1 CLI won't budge, but still worked out...I guess

The route to go is the EO, the backdoor isnt going to get you what you are after. The address to use is in the first listing

Let me Google that for you  http://bit.ly/1g0P1zO

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you did the right thing, althought I probalby would have closed the card and tried to app for a new QS. Did you try getting a QS instead of a QS1 on the PC? Might as well ditch the AF if you can. 

Message 3 of 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Don't bother with Facebook, they will spit out the same responses as the regular CSRs on the chat/phone call.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience (and seemingly many other people's here), the EO is the way to go.

Just understand that it will take a week or so before they get back to you, but they have the power to do pretty much whatever they want (raise limits, reduce APRs, waive AFs, etc.).

Message 5 of 13
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@SecondWind wrote:

I have a Cap1 QS1 card w/ $300 limit that hasn't budged since it converted from HSBC years ago.  No matter how many CLIs I request through the website, or through chat, or calling Customer Service, all I get is a "no" of some sort.  

So I tried online chatting again yesterday asking if I could convert QS1 to QS...nope, account not eligible.  While I'm on chat, I log in and request an increase for my other 2 non QS Cap1 cards and instantly get approved for an additional $1k on both bringing them to $4k and $2.5k.  Still no love on the QS1 though...all while chatting online!  I asked to convert one of my other Cap1 cards to QS1 and they said okay and did it right there.

Looks like I will just close my $300 QS1 before AF hits even though its 5+ years old.  I really want a cash rewards card because I started using one high limit card for all my daily purchases and then paying the balance each month.  Discover it Student said yes to me on Sunday for $500 so maybe I can convert and up my CL with them one day after graduation.  

I was thinking about trying the Facebook or EO contact route but maybe trying a backdoor number today first to see if I get any movement there, but if these last options don't work, I guess I will have to close this little guy.  Can anyone suggest or PM me an appropriate backdoor number for this issue?

As has been said, the EO is the best way to success.  I was just telling people in the Garden thread that my $300 HSBC rebuilder is now a nearly $5K QS, thanks in large part to the EO.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 13
SecondWind
Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!  I didn't bother with the backdoor number as I couldn't find a reliable number and a lot of YMMV scenarios.  I went the EO route and sent the standard request.  If I don't get any great response, I will just close the account.  Oh yeah, I just got approved for Amazon rewards today too, $3k limit...that will make it easier to close out the QS1.

I did ask about the QS conversion but they said not eligible but my AF was pretty low ($19) so I figure I can deal with the QS1 for awhile then ask for a conversion in 6 months.  This was originally an HSBC rebuilder card and one of the first I qualified for after clearing off COs and baddies so I guess there is some nostalgic attachment to it.

That "let me google that for you" link is fantastic!  I need to send that kind of link to my whole family when they ask where to find stuff online.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You think it's realistic for a Plat to be converted to the regular visa QS? Only after the account being opened 6 months?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You think it's realistic for a Plat to be converted to the regular visa QS? Only after the account being opened 6 months?

Maybe not a Platinum MC to a QS Visa, but I did have my Platinum Mastercard converted to the no AF QS MasterCard after less than one month of having the card.

Message 9 of 13
SecondWind
Valued Member

UPDATE:  So I tried the EO route and sent off an email explaining my situation to the Fairbank's email on March 9 and I attached a copy of the chat conversation in hopes that it would attract some attention but I didn't really expect any type of communication back.  

This afternoon, someone from Capital One called me and wanted to talk to me about what was going on and clarify what I had written in the email.  I explained that I wasn't particularly pleased with the inadequate CL and that I thought a $39 AF was inappropriate for a $300 CL.  The rep said she would put in an inquiry as to why I wasn't able to get a CLI and would also see if I could get my AF reduced.  She didn't guarantee anything but she did say to expect some type of communication in a few days, whether it be another phone call or a document or notification online.  She asked me what CL I would like and I told her $3k, but she also asked if I would consider a lower counter offer from them (I said yes).

I'm happy that they were able to at least reach out to me and I was able to explain my frustrations, and I did reiterate that I would be closing the account if I couldn't get a CLI.  The rep was super nice and friendly and I guess I can't really complain about any other part of that call. 

I will update in the next few days the good or bad news that I get as a result of this EO.  Thanks for everyones' replies!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.