Reply
Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Cap1 / Unsecuring a Secured Card

I'm trying to find out who has has a Cap1 secured card go unsecured? And how long did it take?

 

I've had mine for 5 months excellent payment history always PIF not 1 dime paid in interest. I deposited 1,100 to make a 1200 CL.

 

I've been approved for other cards in the past few weeks and I feel like I'm above the "secured" part of my CC experience.




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
trumpet-205
Posts: 2,177
Registered: ‎11-11-2010

Re: Cap1 / Unsecuring a Secured Card

A history of 5 months is pretty short. 

 

Usually for secured card to go unsecure, it takes 9 months to 18 months. If you want to get it unsecure just call Capital One. If you are not satisfied then close the card and get the deposit back.

In My Wallet:
Citi Forward (12/2010) | Citi TY Preferred (05/2011) | Chase Freedom (11/2011) | GECRB/PayPal (05/2012)
Discover it (07/2012) | AMEX BCP (09/2012) | TD/Target REDCard (10/2012) | Chase Ink Classic (11/2012)
BofA BBR (04/2013) | FNBO/Overstock.com (02/2014) | Barclaycard Arrival (04/2014) | FIA/Fidelity AMEX (04/2014)
Senior Contributor
Wolf3
Posts: 3,198
Registered: ‎01-24-2010

Re: Cap1 / Unsecuring a Secured Card


LS2982 wrote:

I'm trying to find out who has has a Cap1 secured card go unsecured? And how long did it take?

 

I've had mine for 5 months excellent payment history always PIF not 1 dime paid in interest. I deposited 1,100 to make a 1200 CL.

 

I've been approved for other cards in the past few weeks and I feel like I'm above the "secured" part of my CC experience.


They do not unsecure the card.  You need to apply for an unsecured card from Capital One.    So how long you wait depends on how your credit has approved.


I got mine in June 2010.   I increased the deposit each month to 2200 and at 6 months, they added $300 unsecured.   I just applied last month for the cash back rewards card and they approved with $3000 CL and $39AF.    I was pleased with that.

 

I called a few days ago to close it,   They applied my deposit to the balance, so I have a negative balance now.   They wait for 2 closing cyles to make sure everything is cleared and then they return the balance of my deposit.  They mentioned that they were impressed with the size of the deposit, apparently big deposits are rare in secured cards.

 

For those interested, I generally used 80 to 95% of the Limit each month, I let it report, and PIF by the due date.   And last month, l got my utilizaton low (nothing over 30%)  to juice my score for this app.  

 

 

Mega Contributor
LS2982
Posts: 15,434
Registered: ‎04-09-2011

Re: Cap1 / Unsecuring a Secured Card


Wolf3 wrote:

LS2982 wrote:

I'm trying to find out who has has a Cap1 secured card go unsecured? And how long did it take?

 

I've had mine for 5 months excellent payment history always PIF not 1 dime paid in interest. I deposited 1,100 to make a 1200 CL.

 

I've been approved for other cards in the past few weeks and I feel like I'm above the "secured" part of my CC experience.


They do not unsecure the card.  You need to apply for an unsecured card from Capital One.    So how long you wait depends on how your credit has approved.


I got mine in June 2010.   I increased the deposit each month to 2200 and at 6 months, they added $300 unsecured.   I just applied last month for the cash back rewards card and they approved with $3000 CL and $39AF.    I was pleased with that.

 

I called a few days ago to close it,   They applied my deposit to the balance, so I have a negative balance now.   They wait for 2 closing cyles to make sure everything is cleared and then they return the balance of my deposit.  They mentioned that they were impressed with the size of the deposit, apparently big deposits are rare in secured cards.

 

For those interested, I generally used 80 to 95% of the Limit each month, I let it report, and PIF by the due date.   And last month, l got my utilizaton low (nothing over 30%)  to juice my score for this app.  

 

 


I have 2nd Cap1 unsecured card (No Hassle Cash) 500 CL. I'm OK with waiting a year then going back to the bargaining table. All I want is a timeframe. I really dont want to close this acct as ive made it my larger bills CC and PIF every month.




Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Senior Contributor
Wolf3
Posts: 3,198
Registered: ‎01-24-2010

Re: Cap1 / Unsecuring a Secured Card


LS2982 wrote:

Wolf3 wrote:

LS2982 wrote:

I'm trying to find out who has has a Cap1 secured card go unsecured? And how long did it take?

 

I've had mine for 5 months excellent payment history always PIF not 1 dime paid in interest. I deposited 1,100 to make a 1200 CL.

 

I've been approved for other cards in the past few weeks and I feel like I'm above the "secured" part of my CC experience.


They do not unsecure the card.  You need to apply for an unsecured card from Capital One.    So how long you wait depends on how your credit has approved.


I got mine in June 2010.   I increased the deposit each month to 2200 and at 6 months, they added $300 unsecured.   I just applied last month for the cash back rewards card and they approved with $3000 CL and $39AF.    I was pleased with that.

 

I called a few days ago to close it,   They applied my deposit to the balance, so I have a negative balance now.   They wait for 2 closing cyles to make sure everything is cleared and then they return the balance of my deposit.  They mentioned that they were impressed with the size of the deposit, apparently big deposits are rare in secured cards.

 

For those interested, I generally used 80 to 95% of the Limit each month, I let it report, and PIF by the due date.   And last month, l got my utilizaton low (nothing over 30%)  to juice my score for this app.  

 

 


I have 2nd Cap1 unsecured card (No Hassle Cash) 500 CL. I'm OK with waiting a year then going back to the bargaining table. All I want is a timeframe. I really dont want to close this acct as ive made it my larger bills CC and PIF every month.


I suggest you keep it open until you get an unsecured card with a comparable or bigger limit to replace it.   I'd try again when the card is a year old or more.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+