Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Visa Platinum - 18 year old

tag
Dawn
Established Contributor

Re: Cap1 Visa Platinum - 18 year old

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Now ... I must dwell on whether or not I dare even suggest that he try for a credit card.  He really makes me nervous.  Smiley Sad  I think, considering my own concerns about him ... Cap1 would really not be a good option.
Message 11 of 24
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

denbar2003 wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions.  Now ... I must dwell on whether or not I dare even suggest that he try for a credit card.  He really makes me nervous.  Smiley Sad  I think, considering my own concerns about him ... Cap1 would really not be a good option.

Agreed.  Maybe he will be more attentive to the BoA 99/500 though since his money would be personally invested in it. 

The sooner you encourage him to, the sooner the 7 years for derogs to fall off comes.  Smiley Very Happy

Seriously, as a parent I feel for you.  We have to let 'em fly and screw up so they can learn from it.  Actually.... how about a positive reward system?  The BoA regular secured card I believe you can increase the CL on.  Maybe for every month he keeps the account clean, you can throw on $25 bucks toward increasing the CL... paid to the card each quarter or something like that. 
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 12 of 24
Dawn
Established Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

We have to let 'em fly and screw up so they can learn from it. 

I had to laugh at that one ... those were basically his parting words when he moved out and into his own apartment.  We are still waiting to see how this is going to work out. 
Message 13 of 24
Dawn
Established Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:

Actually.... how about a positive reward system?  The BoA regular secured card I believe you can increase the CL on.  Maybe for every month he keeps the account clean, you can throw on $25 bucks toward increasing the CL... paid to the card each quarter or something like that. 

Now that I've "slept" on it, I really think his best bet is going to be a secured card ... it will take him awhile to save the money for the "deposit" though ... since he lives pay-check to pay-check.  I have contemplated telling him that I will match his savings rate ... out of funds we set aside for
the "flight" away from home.  Maybe that will help him develop the discipline to stop spending most of his spare change at the fast-food drive-through windows.  I suppose a "young adult" cookbook might be in order .. as well as a couple of quick to read books on "frugal living."  Smiley Very Happy
Message 14 of 24
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

denbar2003 wrote:

Now that I've "slept" on it, I really think his best bet is going to be a secured card ... it will take him awhile to save the money for the "deposit" though ... since he lives pay-check to pay-check.  I have contemplated telling him that I will match his savings rate ... out of funds we set aside for the "flight" away from home.  Maybe that will help him develop the discipline to stop spending most of his spare change at the fast-food drive-through windows.  I suppose a "young adult" cookbook might be in order .. as well as a couple of quick to read books on "frugal living."  Smiley Very Happy

I think that's a great idea!   And as for books, kids *really* should come with an instructional manual at birth.  I just don't know who to complain to since I didn't get one either.  Smiley Wink
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 15 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

When my now 24-year-old son moved out (hooray!!), he took a "young adult" cookbook and a copy of Joy of Cooking, and for the first several months, he came home every Saturday for laundry and a cooking lesson. I don't think his meals are particularly balanced, but he has about 7 or 8 main meals that he cooks up all the time, and he actually knows how to shop for ingredients. He makes a chicken Alfredo that will block up every artery in your body! mmmmmm
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 24
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
When my now 24-year-old son moved out (hooray!!), he took a "young adult" cookbook and a copy of Joy of Cooking, and for the first several months, he came home every Saturday for laundry and a cooking lesson. I don't think his meals are particularly balanced, but he has about 7 or 8 main meals that he cooks up all the time, and he actually knows how to shop for ingredients. He makes a chicken Alfredo that will block up every artery in your body! mmmmmm

Chicken alfredo is one of my favorites.  Good work mama!
Message 17 of 24
Dawn
Established Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

He actually uses "Joy of Cooking?!?"  I have one of those ... probably about 30 years old.  If I'm not mistaken, I got frustrated with it when it told me how to kill the chicken first.  Smiley Very Happy

We stick with Betty Crocker around here now.  Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

remember when they say no UD just means they don't use badies on your reports as a reason to take action against you, but they get your score same time they pull your reports which badies will lower, so just cause they don't UD, doesn't mean you can goof around somewhere else and not get peg by the non UD bank
Message 19 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@denbar2003 wrote:
He actually uses "Joy of Cooking?!?" I have one of those ... probably about 30 years old. If I'm not mistaken, I got frustrated with it when it told me how to kill the chicken first. Smiley Very Happy

*hysterical laughter--need a smiley for that!!!*

I read Joy out loud to my family just to gross them out. I like the advice on stuffing boar heads. No, he just uses it for the measuring equivalences and maybe what kind of spice works with what. And BTW, when he comes on weekends for laundry, he's doing it. All 3 of my kids were put in charge of their own laundry when they started middle school. Let THEM turn disgusting soccer socks right-side-out! Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.