cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 cards permanently ineligible for PCs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 cards permanently ineligible for PCs?

First Cap1 plat MC opened 2001, SL $500. CLIs to $2700 then to $5700 this year once util was very low. Second Cap1 plat (old 2001 K-Mart MC) SL of $500 now at $2100. Rec'd auto PCs to QS1 03/2015.Once I realized my scores and perfect Cap1 history should qualify me for Venture (thx to this forum!) I asked Cap1 for upgrade. I had no pre-qual offers. Acct retention informed me my accounts were permanently ineligible for Venture or QS because of the type of accounts I originally opened in 2001. I asked if I had reached my max credit with Cap1 and was told yes. CSR offered to submit new app with a HP. Not interested since I have recent INQ and new car loan. She lowered interest rate but couldn't cancel $5 and $3 monthly fees.

What is best plan to maintain AAoA but get the appropriate cards w Cap1? My personal banker laughed when she saw my Cap1 cards since I have 100% on time pymts, <3% util, no baddies, own two homes free and clear, own a small business and have a good income. She said they were subprime, look out of place in my portfolio and signify a previous credit problem. I'm willing to SD or cancel if they won't budge.

FICO 08  09/15

TU 736

EX 728

EQ 765

I have five digit CSP, BCP, Discover, BoA, etc.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 cards permanently ineligible for PCs?

@Anonymous wrote:

First Cap1 plat MC opened 2001, SL $500. CLIs to $2700 then to $5700 this year once util was very low. Second Cap1 plat (old 2001 K-Mart MC) SL of $500 now at $2100. Rec'd auto PCs to QS1 03/2015.Once I realized my scores and perfect Cap1 history should qualify me for Venture (thx to this forum!) I asked Cap1 for upgrade. I had no pre-qual offers. Acct retention informed me my accounts were permanently ineligible for Venture or QS because of the type of accounts I originally opened in 2001. I asked if I had reached my max credit with Cap1 and was told yes. CSR offered to submit new app with a HP. Not interested since I have recent INQ and new car loan. She lowered interest rate but couldn't cancel $5 and $3 monthly fees.

What is best plan to maintain AAoA but get the appropriate cards w Cap1? My personal banker laughed when she saw my Cap1 cards since I have 100% on time pymts, <3% util, no baddies, own two homes free and clear, own a small business and have a good income. She said they were subprime, look out of place in my portfolio and signify a previous credit problem. I'm willing to SD or cancel if they won't budge.

FICO 08  09/15

TU 736

EX 728

EQ 765

This is par for the course in these parts. The best way to handle Capital One is to apply for a new card and combine limits. The card that used to be a K-Mart MasterCard will probably never be eilgible for a PC or combination though - several forum members have old Orchard Bank and HSBC cards that will never grow or change. 

Message 2 of 3
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap1 cards permanently ineligible for PCs?

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FICO 08  09/15

TU 736

EX 728

EQ 765

This is par for the course in these parts. The best way to handle Capital One is to apply for a new card and combine limits. The card that used to be a K-Mart MasterCard will probably never be eilgible for a PC or combination though - several forum members have old Orchard Bank and HSBC cards that will never grow or change. 

+1

I have an old Orchard/HSBC card that was converted to a Capital One Quicksilver One Mastercard, and so far it's been impossible to PC it to anything else, or to get rid of the annual fee (which is a lovely $79).  They have been "kind" enough to waive half of it the last few years, which still makes it slightly higher than someone who recently applied for a new Quicksilver One card.  It's one of my oldest cards, but I'm determined to not pay an AF again next year.

Luckily, it is eligible to be combined with my new Quicksilver Visa Signature, which if I can't figure out a way to get rid of the AF will be my solution.  As for feeling that all Capital One products are "sub-prime", I'll have to disagree with the OP's banker... I've never received similar feedback, and I know plenty of folks with Capital One cards with generous limits and very favorable terms.  Of course, the whole notion of "prime" is subjective, and the OP's banker is certainly entitled to his/her opinion, as am I and everyone else here.

To the OP, I would be concerned more with the monthly fees on my cards than someone's "perception" of Capital One.  If you want a Venture, apply for one - and enjoy the sign up bonus, which you wouldn't get if you PC'd anyway.  After six months, see if you're able to combine your old accounts into your new card.  If you can, that would be great; if you can't, nothing has technically been 'lost', and you can simply close the old cards and be rid of the fees forever.

All this being said, I agree that it's annoying that as a long-time customer you're not allowed to change to the card you really want.  I have an eight year old card myself, and it will be a shame to close that card with it's perfect history, but I'm not willing to pay $79 (in my case) a year to keep it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.