cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 - decline Luv Button CLI for better increase later?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Cap1 - decline Luv Button CLI for better increase later?

Cap1 gives cardholders the option of declining the amount that they offer for a CLI via the Luv Button on their site. What has been the experience been with declining an increase?  Wondering if anything better has been offered a few months later or if they need to be contacted by phone or e-mail to possibly get a higher increase?

I declined a $1K increase last month. Waiting for them to see my higher TU score. I'll try again online after that and will follow up with a call if I don't get to far.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Cap1 - decline Luv Button CLI for better increase later?

Usually if you decline their CLI offer, it's gone forever...jk Smiley Tongue

Seems like those who decline it and wait a bit longer (another month to three months) tend to get a higher CLI offer, up to a max of $3k. At least that's the most I've seen offered.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 11
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

There have been a few random examples where this "strategy" has worked, but there is not enough evidence to support the assertion that not accepting CLIs will get you higher CLIs.  Maybe it will in your case.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

There have been a few random examples where this "strategy" has worked, but there is not enough evidence to support the assertion that not accepting CLIs will get you higher CLIs.  Maybe it will in your case.  Good luck!

Pretty much. Nothing's guaranteed in the credit world.

If you want to wait, then wait. Can't really hurt.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

Agreed.  Unless you increase your spending on the card, the CLI will probably be the same when you next request it.

Message 5 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've given the card more usage than I usually do and keep paying it down. Never pay interest. My last two CLIs have been about 33% and the one before that was 80%.. The 80% increase was from $2500 - $4500. That was done with the Luv Button. The other two were done by calling the EO. I've read that number is no longer avaiable so I'm hoping their site will give me at least another 30%. ($8K - $10,500). 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember reading a post by pizza1. She did the same thing in hopes of a better CLI down the line. I'm not sure what the end result was for her, but if she doesn't chime in I would PM her. Best of luck!!!

Message 7 of 11
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I remember that post but don't remember if the outcome was posted.  I'm also working on being able to determine when Cap1 see updated TU scores. Wondering if that Credit Tracker can be used as a guide. I'll see that at the end of next week. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wacdenney wrote:

My last CapOne cli went West for some reason. I pushed the button and was offered $100. Yep, 100. So, I rejected that, of course, and got on the phone with EO. 2 days later, they offered $2000, and I accepted.

Message 9 of 11
pip3man
Valued Contributor

Yeah it certainly did work for me. Declined my initial $400 offer then roughly 10days later, tried again and was offered a $3k increase which was gladly accepted. Now on my V1, was offered a $500 increase back in July and weeks later it changed to a $1k offer which it has since remained at till date but I promised myself never to accept until I get a higher offer. So this has been my experience....

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.