Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 fraud dept

tag
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 fraud dept

Ok I got a call from Cap1 fraud Dept and they said they need my license, Uitility bill and social security card. I been with them for almost 8 months, they were my first card. Last month I PCd my platinum card to QS1, got a second QS1 and a Venture card. In addition I got BCE, Chase Hyatt, and Lowes. I have between 9 and 10 inquiries on each report. I asked why they needed my information and they would not tell me. I recieved a letter from them telling me to call because they think someone got a card in my name. I seen others in the forum say they called and cleared up similar situations but they froze my cards and will not free them up until I send my information. This is crazy and a headache. Has anyone else had this problem? Im thinknkn bout just PIF and just closing their cards I only owe them $400. Could this be from inquiries after I got those cards? I probably had 4 inquiries after I got those cards.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bengalikejenga
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 fraud dept

Send all the documents that you need to verify your identiy and ask to speak to a supervisior, so you can get more details on what happened and how the fraud was committed. 

Ex681 Tu694 EQ708
Message 2 of 11
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

@bengalikejenga wrote:

Send all the documents that you need to verify your identiy and ask to speak to a supervisior, so you can get more details on what happened and how the fraud was committed. 

I have my license but the utilities are in my girlfriends name and I have to get a new SS card. I asked if I could send my bank statement instead and they said no, so its just a headache. Im gone send them what I can and try to talk to a supervisor but Im thinkn Im still gonna close the Cap1 cards. I'd rather garden for a while build up my scores and try for something I really want.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It actually happened to me; nothing I could find that triggered it.

I emailed all the info, and I mean ALL the info they requested and everything was cool.  They requested the same items and I only had 3 out of 4...no go.  I too didn't have utilities in my name but I was able to quickly get a cable bill into my name and that was that.

They won't let you out of this until you submit ALL of the info they request.

I too have several Cap1 cards... 5 to be exact.  I am suspecting that several Cap1's could trigger this event.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbea1004 wrote:

Ok I got a call from Cap1 fraud Dept and they said they need my license, Uitility bill and social security card. I been with them for almost 8 months, they were my first card. Last month I PCd my platinum card to QS1, got a second QS1 and a Venture card. In addition I got BCE, Chase Hyatt, and Lowes. I have between 9 and 10 inquiries on each report. I asked why they needed my information and they would not tell me. I recieved a letter from them telling me to call because they think someone got a card in my name. I seen others in the forum say they called and cleared up similar situations but they froze my cards and will not free them up until I send my information. This is crazy and a headache. Has anyone else had this problem? Im thinknkn bout just PIF and just closing their cards I only owe them $400. Could this be from inquiries after I got those cards? I probably had 4 inquiries after I got those cards.

I would Google the phone # before calling them just to make it's Cap 1's number

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope this never happens to me, I have no utility bills of any kind.  I live for free, as part of my salary  from my employer I get a free house and they pay for everything so I literally have no bills.  I pay for netflix and hulu I guess, all else related to living is totally free for me internet and all.  I came home one day and told my wife what they proposed and she was so skeptical to say the least lol, now it has been a few years and she says this the the best place we've ever lived!

I actually have a hard time proving my address outside of car payment statements and credit card stuff, and even that is all electronic so I get zero bills of any type.  Made updating my drivers license hard lol.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

happens a lot

Send them what they are asking of you. It's probably nothing you did.

I recently got apporved for Venture and QuickSilver Signature Visa for fairly high limits. I completed verification when I was approved over the phone and also they called me last week when they were mailing the cards and wanted to call me back on my phone otomake sure "I" was me. They called me back, cards were mailed, and I should have them on Monday or Tuesday. 

Verification happens more often lately and is not always related to something you did.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It actually happened to me; nothing I could find that triggered it.

I emailed all the info, and I mean ALL the info they requested and everything was cool.  They requested the same items and I only had 3 out of 4...no go.  I too didn't have utilities in my name but I was able to quickly get a cable bill into my name and that was that.

They won't let you out of this until you submit ALL of the info they request.

I too have several Cap1 cards... 5 to be exact.  I am suspecting that several Cap1's could trigger this event.

I'm sure that was not fun if utilities were not in your name, you'd think they would accept an alternate item instead. I know a few elderly folks who rent from someone and the utilites and rent are all wrapped in together and they pay the landlord one amount, so no utility bills at all. Wonder what they would have done.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AhmedInVA wrote:

I would Google the phone # before calling them just to make it's Cap 1's number

Very solid idea

Message 9 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@tbea1004 wrote:

@bengalikejenga wrote:

I have my license but the utilities are in my girlfriends name and I have to get a new SS card. I asked if I could send my bank statement instead and they said no, so its just a headache. Im gone send them what I can and try to talk to a supervisor but Im thinkn Im still gonna close the Cap1 cards. I'd rather garden for a while build up my scores and try for something I really want.

Does your license show same address as utilities. It does not matter whose name they are in as long as you live at said address and can prove it. also send in a Bank Statement with your address on it. This is nothing to be worried about. Fraud happens everyday and they just want to make sure it is you that opened the account. I would fax it over to them right away. They mostly want to see your SS card and Driver license.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.