Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 giving me the cold shoulder :(

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 giving me the cold shoulder :(

You need a higher limit to AVOID running your balance up.  High Util is a NEGATIVE.  Any recon analyst will you tell you this.

No I am NOT going to utilize all my limit on ANY of my cards.  For me personally I don't like going over 10% on any given card.  I do go as high as 20% to 30% occasionally if I have a good 0% intro offer and need to carry a balance but no way I'm going over that.  High utilization being a negative is the CCC's idea.  If I have a $1500 limit then I can comfortably run $150 bucks regularly through the card.  That's the way THEY have the game setup to work. 

So yeah...  A small Crap limit means the card isn't going to get used.  I don't have time or desire to make multiple payments every month.  No decent CL = No use.  That's the way they decided it works.  It wasn't my idea.

Message 31 of 45
Chris679
Established Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

You need a higher limit to AVOID running your balance up.  High Util is a NEGATIVE.  Any recon analyst will you tell you this.

No I am NOT going to utilize all my limit on ANY of my cards.  For me personally I don't like going over 10% on any given card.  I do go as high as 20% to 30% occasionally if I have a good 0% intro offer and need to carry a balance but no way I'm going over that.  High utilization being a negative is the CCC's idea.  If I have a $1500 limit then I can comfortably run $150 bucks regularly through the card.  That's the way THEY have the game setup to work. 

So yeah...  A small Crap limit means the card isn't going to get used.  I don't have time or desire to make multiple payments every month.  No decent CL = No use.  That's the way they decided it works.  It wasn't my idea.

Couple problems with this way of thinking:

1-Credit card companies don't need you to stay under any magic threshold of utilization.  They want you to use the card.  Forums like this get people paranoid and they think they have to do that.  Feel free to max the card out and PIF every month and watch the CLI pile up.  Utilization can be an issue from a lender standpoint only if you are carrying large balances long term.

2-if someone decides that they don't want to use a card to get a CLI and the company won't give one without use how is that the CCCs fault?  I dont blame either side but people are on here daily bashing these companies demanding CLI like it's their birth right when they probably never use the card.

Message 32 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris679 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

1-Credit card companies don't need you to stay under any magic threshold of utilization.  They want you to use the card.  Forums like this get people paranoid and they think they have to do that.  Feel free to max the card out and PIF every month and watch the CLI pile up.  Utilization can be an issue from a lender standpoint only if you are carrying large balances long term.

2-if someone decides that they don't want to use a card to get a CLI and the company won't give one without use how is that the CCCs fault?  I dont blame either side but people are on here daily bashing these companies demanding CLI like it's their birth right when they probably never use the card.

Perhaps, but they don't like it when you max out either.

Message 33 of 45
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

Good points.

I agree about the UTI... it's forums like this that have people paranoid and in some cases OCD about their UTI.

The only time UTI matters is when you are prepping for an app spree, car loan, mortgage... etc...  otherwise it doesn't matter.  Yeah your scores might bounce around a bit if you carry balances but FICO has no memory and points lost are gained back when balances go down.

I gardened a year prior to my spree last week... I opened 4 accounts and closed 4 accounts that I no longer needed.  I have no plans to app for anything in 2015 other than a possible vehicle trade... and that will be 1 TU pull from BECU.  When I'm ready to do that I'll play the UTI game to get a few extra points.  Until then, I don't care.

I lost 9 points off EQ for a new account and 2 INQs.  I gained 6 on TU... LOL....  I'll probably lose/gain more when the other 3 accounts hit my report.

OMG the world is gonna end!

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 34 of 45
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Message 35 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Chris679 wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Perhaps, but they don't like it when you max out either.

Sure they do. Why else would AMEX boost my $2k Delta Gold card to a $3k CL on an auto-CLI after I ran it up close to $2k open balance?

All you worry worts thinking a $300 CL is useless, it's useable up to $290, then you pay it down and use it up to $290 again. It's a freaking transaction card, it is not some prize you put on the mantle at home to admire, or think it's going to blow up if you charge 95% of it. ("Someone is going to call from CapOne because I just ran the CL up to $290 on this $300 card!!!") CLI will come from that usage. When the CLI gets so large you can't bump up against it, then your usage utilization naturally becomes a smaller percentage of the limit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 36 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
All you worry worts thinking a $300 CL is useless, it's useable up to $290, then you pay it down and use it up to $290 again. It's a freaking transaction card, it is not some prize you put on the mantle at home to admire, or think it's going to blow up if you charge 95% of it. ("Someone is going to call from CapOne because I just ran the CL up to $290 on this $300 card!!!") CLI will come from that usage. When the CLI gets so large you can't bump up against it, then your usage utilization naturally becomes a smaller percentage of the limit.

It IS useless.

Message 37 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

It REALLY is
Message 38 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

It IS useless.

lol

Perfectionist.

By that logic, someone just starting out in life should not buy a used car to get to their job, they should just walk to work. Then, when they hit the big time, and finally get the big raise they really deserve, they can buy a new car.

Is usable. At $300. Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 39 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

It IS useless.

lol

Perfectionist.

By that logic, someone just starting out in life should not buy a used car to get to their job, they should just walk to work. Then, when they hit the big time, and finally get the big raise they really deserve, they can buy a new car.

Is usable. At $300. Smiley Happy

Yes!

Usable....

....If you shop at dollar general Smiley Sad

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.