Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 hates me

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Cap1 hates me

I've had a 6 month one sided relationship with Cap1 now. Hundreds of swipes for thousands of dollars, high income, and an 80 to 90 point score increase. Hit the luv button on a card I've had for 3 month, $100 for a $400 limit. Steps on the card I've had for 6 months, I'm told it'll be a $100 increase to a $500 limit by their CSR... Awesome. I want to love them, they were the first company to believe in me, but they really do stomp you into that bucket.

Thoughts on combining them? I've heard that closing your oldest revolving account is a big no no and that's the only eligible to be closed. It's also the no AF card of the two. At this point I don't even know what to do with them and I'm sure the ceiling on my cards is low. They're both currently SD. I suppose there's no rush but I'm annoyed and the $200 I'd miss by combining isn't gonna a make or break my profile.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
17 REPLIES 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Cap1 hates me

How long have you had the Cap One re-builder card? Is it only six months? Normally the cards that are obtained during that phase with Cap One do not grow well, if at all.
For now leave them open.
I don't know your credit profile. So tough to give advice without knowing how old your credit history is, any baddies still reporting and so on?
Message 2 of 18
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Still some 5.5 year old baddies, 2 paid CAs, 1 unpaid. In the last 7 months I've added 4 revolvers (2 Cap1 cards were the first two) and a charge. The oldest Cap1 is 6 months the next is 3 months.
New credit shows 1 month (Amex BCE and PRG are brand new as is Discover really). The cap1 cards show the only solid recent revolving history. AAoA is like 5.5 years. DTI is 11% and UTI is always about 1% with this being the first month of AZEO so it hasn't reported yet.

I probably shouldn't combine them yet (at least wait till Amex and Disco are older) but it's frustrating how they never let you grow even though I knew to expect it.
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 3 of 18
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Okay I gotcha. Well it's going to take more time before the flood gates open.
I know all too well the frustrations of the wait. I went 6 years waiting. Didn't app for any CCs in that time frame.

You need to let father time do his job now. In a year, CLIs and higher SLs will come easier.
Message 4 of 18
Caught750
Valued Contributor

While I definitely understand it to an extent, once you let someone in and their scores climb rapidly and they're on top of it and the baddies are about to fall off I feel like that should carry the weight. So one day things fall off and I'm a new person that poses less risk? Same guy, just one day (or one hr for that matter) later...

I know it's their risk and I know it's a game it's just a frustrating one. Especially when $400 is a miniscule amount of my expendable income and I easily run 1k through each card monthly. Well, I did... Disco and Amex will appreciate the extra swipes I'm sure.
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 5 of 18
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

That is a standard statement with the steps program and their CSRs. It’s very much a YMMV issue,  however they could decide to reward your high swipes by giving you a higher steps auto CLI. I was promised $250 but given $500.   

Is your second card on steps, too? Once it has aged 6 months, PIF to a zero balance and asked for them to combine in. Cap One is always a waiting game. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 18
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yes they will! Especially Amex IME! I expect your Amex to soar using it like that. Right now it feels like a long time waiting for that punishment to end. It will have come and gone before you know it.😉
You'll certainly respect your credit more and have a greater appreciation of it. I know I do! lol
Message 7 of 18
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Unfortunately, its not hating that s holding you back but your cards history length and bracket that are holding back those big cli. Just use them as builders like youve been doing. Look, youve already got Disco and Amex so you are doing right. I understand frustration , Disco and i had a go around . I just learn its their game and in order to play i gotta play by their rulesSmiley Wink Remember once your files become clean, youll have much more controlSmiley Happy
Message 8 of 18
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I'd also like to add that closing your oldest card will have a minmal effect on your credit score.  The only thing that will actually hurt you if you close it is the loss of that $400 from your total available credit.

1)  If that account is closed, it will still age and factor into your average age of account (AAoA) for about 10 years.

2)  Your oldest card is only 3 months older than the next oldest card.  So you aren't doing much harm to your AAoA even after the account falls off.  In 10 years, it would likely be undetectable.

3)  You have 4 revolving credit cards now...  You don't need any more for maximum FICO scoring.  I'd let your oldest cards age to 12 months, at least, before you apply for anything else.  You're more likely to get larger starting limits that way than if you recieve 15 toy limit cards now.

Cap1's bucket system can certainly be frustrating if you don't like their rules!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 18
Kree
Established Contributor

A thought. I haven't been asked in a while. But then again I rarely step into a Cap1 bank nowadays.  I do remember in the past, the tellers would regularly try to get me to make changes in my cards. Perhaps talking to a personal banker for a CLI would give options the online system does not?

No idea if they have the power.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.