Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 secured to unsecured

tag
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Cap1 secured to unsecured

How long does it take for Cap1 secured card to convert to unsecured? Just wondering, I just got mine in July and been paying the balance off.

Thanks
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Cap1 secured to unsecured

@glendazamot wrote:
How long does it take for Cap1 secured card to convert to unsecured? Just wondering, I just got mine in July and been paying the balance off.

Thanks

Cap1 does not unsecured their secured cards. You have to close and app for another one unfortunately. Their reps will tell you they do but they are misinformed.

(unless policy has changed recently) Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 33
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Wow really? Is that even legal? When I got mine the rep told me that within a year it should be unsecured. Wow, just wow.
Message 3 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@glendazamot wrote:
Wow really? Is that even legal? When I got mine the rep told me that within a year it should be unsecured. Wow, just wow.

LOL the rep told me the same thing then 8 months into it "no, sorry we do not unsecure"

I said take my deposit and pay the balance and close it. It really made me mad too. It was really false advertisement.

If your looking for a good secured card that will graduate to unsecured BofA is a very good option.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 33
agforfree5
Contributor

@glendazamot wrote:

Thanks

The Cap1 Secured card does not "Graduate / Upgrade" to an Unsecured card. Trust me, I have called them several times with the same question. Your best option is to build your credit with the secured & close it down. Then apply for a new Unsecured card - (Cap 1 Platinum or Classic perhaps).

Message 5 of 33
agforfree5
Contributor

Wow.. Did not realize so many people had already responded.

Message 6 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@agforfree5 wrote:

@glendazamot wrote:

Thanks

The Cap1 Secured card does not "Graduate / Upgrade" to an Unsecured card. Trust me, I have called them several times with the same question. Your best option is to build your credit with the secured & close it down. Then apply for a new Unsecured card - (Cap 1 Platinum or Classic perhaps).

I wouldn't waste 3 HP's. Take your business to Discover or Chase or any prime lender.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 33
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

Well I guess is too late now but I only have one secured card. Should I open another one with BOA? I am also listed as an AU on my moms cc from Walmart.
Message 8 of 33
agforfree5
Contributor

HPs ?

Message 9 of 33
glendazamot
Regular Contributor

I think he means hard pulls from your credit.
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.