Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 transition cards

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Cap1 transition cards

Anyone with a Cap 1 card that transitioned from HSBC/Orchard Bank that they closed and got a better Cap1 card.   I have a total of 5 transitioned cards with 700 to 4.2K limits.  Would actually like to consolodate into a Venture Card but  that is a no go for Cap 1..  Been thinking about just closing all the cards and try to start from scratch with Cap 1.........anybody did anything like this.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 transition cards

@ecxpa wrote:

Anyone with a Cap 1 card that transitioned from HSBC/Orchard Bank that they closed and got a better Cap1 card.   I have a total of 5 transitioned cards with 700 to 4.2K limits.  Would actually like to consolodate into a Venture Card but  that is a no go for Cap 1..  Been thinking about just closing all the cards and try to start from scratch with Cap 1.........anybody did anything like this.

Do it!

Your scores are absolutely in range to get a decent card and limit from them. Go for a new Venture and go get that spend bonus!

Message 2 of 16
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Yes...  I had 2 QS1 cards, one of which was former Orchard.  I danced for the EO for over 3 years trying to get them to drop the AFs and work with me on limits.  They actually lied to me and told me it was impossible to remove the AFs.  I really wanted to show some appreciation for the opportunity they had given me but eventually said screw it and closed them both.  2 months later I got a preapproval letter in the mail for a QS Visa with no AF and a higher limit than the 2 QS1's combined. 

My advise would be to close them all and give it about 3 months then apply for and get whatever card you actually want.  Just don't forget to plan for the tripple pull.

Message 3 of 16
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I think I will ax about 3 of the cards and see what happens.  Not getting any offers from the prequal site........been told its because I have too many cards already.  Tried to discuss this on online chat with Cap1 tonight and couldn't get an answer about the limit on Cap 1 cards. ....... all the person on chat would say is "you can have multiple cards"

Message 4 of 16
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

Yes...  I had 2 QS1 cards, one of which was former Orchard.  I danced for the EO for over 3 years trying to get them to drop the AFs and work with me on limits.  They actually lied to me and told me it was impossible to remove the AFs.  I really wanted to show some appreciation for the opportunity they had given me but eventually said screw it and closed them both.  2 months later I got a preapproval letter in the mail for a QS Visa with no AF and a higher limit than the 2 QS1's combined. 

My advise would be to close them all and give it about 3 months then apply for and get whatever card you actually want.  Just don't forget to plan for the tripple pull.

I think the AF is why Cap 1 will not combine balances........it is their meat and potatoes.  So it took about 3 mos to get a decent card from them huh........that sounds good.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not so sure it's because of AF's.

Message 6 of 16
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

you are probably right.....they are a successful company.   The annual fees however are a huge generator of income for this company.  They generally won't waive AF and the popular QS1 is tagged with an AF.  I don't know how many of their cards have AF but I see a lot of griping about them on this board.  So maybe the annual fees are not their meat and potatoes but the little cherry on their dessert.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

you are probably right.....they are a successful company.   The annual fees however are a huge generator of income for this company.  They generally won't waive AF and the popular QS1 is tagged with an AF.  I don't know how many of their cards have AF but I see a lot of griping about them on this board.  So maybe the annual fees are not their meat and potatoes but the little cherry on their dessert.

They charge the AF to provide excellent customer service.

I actually read that this had been mentioned in Cap1 Chat on a different thread...

I guess saying no to everything takes a special kind of person. Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 16
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They charge the AF to provide excellent customer service.

I actually read that this had been mentioned in Cap1 Chat on a different thread...

I guess saying no to everything takes a special kind of person. Smiley Indifferent

Excellent customer........yeah right....they read there scripts well

Message 9 of 16
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There's nothing wrong with AF's in general.  I have several cards that carry AF's like Marriott for example.  The difference is that in most cases AF's are applied where a card provides exceptional benefits.

The exceptional benefit provided by the QS1 is in the granting of credit to a sub-prime borrower.  If you can't get anything else than having the card at all is exceptional to you.  The problem arrises when people move up out of the sub-prime category.  You move and grow, but the card does not. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.