cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 unwilling to increase CL if it's your highest?

tag
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

Cap1 unwilling to increase CL if it's your highest?

I asked for manual review for Cap1 CL increase. I thought I stood a good chance of getting something. But was denied, the primary reason being: "No experience with high limits" or something to that effect.

I'm curious if it's because it's my highest limit and so unwilling to go higher? Anyone else have something similar?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 unwilling to increase CL if it's your highest?

That may be why, but that's just a guess. I mean, some banks that offer Siggys won't give them to you unless you've already had $5k limits. I know that's not your situation, but I'm just saying that I see the similarities.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I just tried for a CL, and while this wasn't the only reason I got denied, I found this interesting.

"Recent use of this account's existing credit line has been too low"

So, if you keep a high balance, they penalize you. If you keep a low balance, you're also penalized. Sometimes it just seems like they make up reasons for not approving CLIs.

Message 2 of 20
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

I too got that same "reason" from Cap1 when I requested a CLI on 1 of my cards from them back in June.  The card is currently at $4,000, which is my highest limit from them out of 3 cards.  I will request again because I KNOW for a fact that some people have 5 digit CL's wtih them. I suppose they just want to see how you handle it before they give you more. . .

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 3 of 20
striehl8212
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That may be why, but that's just a guess. I mean, some banks that offer Siggys won't give them to you unless you've already had $5k limits. I know that's not your situation, but I'm just saying that I see the similarities.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I just tried for a CL, and while this wasn't the only reason I got denied, I found this interesting.

So, if you keep a high balance, they penalize you. If you keep a low balance, you're also penalized. Sometimes it just seems like they make up reasons for not approving CLIs.

Hit the nail on the head. That I do believe to be very true at times. 

March 2014: EX 693 I EQ 672 I TU 694
September 2014: EX 721 I EQ 741 I TU 742
Message 4 of 20
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

I asked for manual review for Cap1 CL increase. I thought I stood a good chance of getting something. But was denied, the primary reason being: "No experience with high limits" or something to that effect.

I'm curious if it's because it's my highest limit and so unwilling to go higher? Anyone else have something similar?

Cap1 is my lowest limit CC (along woth TJX, both have $20K limits). Does that mean I have a pretty good chance of getting CLI? By your rationale, I would say yes. I had not tried as of yet. Technically I can request now (but may wait few weeks). 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 5 of 20
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

Cap1 is my lowest limit CC (along woth TJX, both have $20K limits). Does that mean I have a pretty good chance of getting CLI? By your rationale, I would say yes. I had not tried as of yet. Technically I can request now (but may wait few weeks). 

(Ignoring the obvious flaw in your logic...) With your profileI don't think you need any rationale or problem requesting CLI's Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 20
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

(Ignoring the obvious flaw in your logic...) With your profileI don't think you need any rationale or problem requesting CLI's Smiley Tongue

One can always assume that with my kind of profile, there is absolutely no issue. However I was declined just few weeks back of CLI from $10K to $20K on my TJX Platinum Master Card. I have to do recon and manual review to get $20K. Everyone should be strategize and be prepared to "negative" outcome and be prepared for "recon"....That's all I can say.  

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 7 of 20
go_FICO_self
Frequent Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

One can always assume that with my kind of profile, there is absolutely no issue. However I was declined just few weeks back of CLI from $10K to $20K on my TJX Platinum Master Card. I have to do recon and manual review to get $20K. Everyone should be strategize and be prepared to "negative" outcome and be prepared for "recon"....That's all I can say.  

I think it's the norm that past certain threshold one needs a manual review for any CLI increase. Be it AMEX (much discussed here), or any other lender. I skipped over that obvious part Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@go_FICO_self wrote:

I'm curious if it's because it's my highest limit

That and your credit profile.

Message 9 of 20
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From a logical position, does it make sense to increase a customers limit from 20,000 if they only use 500 a month? I don't know how you use your credit limit, but if you're not using a lot or most of it, it would make sense for them not to see a reason to increase it. I also understand hesitation with granting higher than other lenders have. Some lenders don't care and have no issue granting  a 25000 limit when the next highest is 10000, but it does make sense that some would be cautious if the customer hasn't had high limits before.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.