Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 - upgraded to Venture!!!

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Cap1 - upgraded to Venture!!!

I've had a Cap1 Platinum Visa since 1999. It started out with a $1400 CL and sat there until June of last year, when I received an unexpected $5000 CLI, bringing it to its current CL of $6400. It has a $59 AF, but no rewards.

Since I'm coming up on my AF, I decided to go into a chat session and see if I could upgrade. I wasn't expecting this to work, since I've never received an upgrade offer via the Modify Your Features button, or a mail offer. But, I figured that I'd try and if it didn't work I'd approach the Executive Office. The original CSR took my info and then transferred me to another department. After a few minutes of chatting with the new CSR, I was asked what kind of rewards I wanted. I told her that I was interested in the Venture card. A couple of minutes later and -- they offered me the VentureOne, with no AF. I asked if I could get the Venture instead. She said that it has a $59 AF and I said that was fine. A minute later and -- "Your account will be upgraded to a Venture Visa Signature card." ... followed by the terms and conditions.

I'm so happy! I have cash rewards cards, but no travel specific cards. I don't go out of state (FL) very often, but I do go within state several times a year and could use the rewards towards hotels and such. I feel like this has rounded out my wallet, without apping for anything new. This card is important to me, as it's the oldest card in my wallet, not counting a backdated Amex, so I want to keep it. But it's been a bit of an ouch hanging onto a card with an AF and no rewards. Finally, my plain vanilla Cap1 Visa card has grown up and become a more useful card! So happy!!! Smiley Very Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
LesWH
Established Contributor

Re: Cap1 - upgraded to Venture!!!

That's wonderful!! Congratulations!!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 2 of 22
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

I've had a Cap1 Platinum Visa since 1999. It started out with a $1400 CL and sat there until June of last year, when I received an unexpected $5000 CLI, bringing it to its current CL of $6400. It has a $59 AF, but no rewards.

Since I'm coming up on my AF, I decided to go into a chat session and see if I could upgrade. I wasn't expecting this to work, since I've never received an upgrade offer via the Modify Your Features button, or a mail offer. But, I figured that I'd try and if it didn't work I'd approach the Executive Office. The original CSR took my info and then transferred me to another department. After a few minutes of chatting with the new CSR, I was asked what kind of rewards I wanted. I told her that I was interested in the Venture card. A couple of minutes later and -- they offered me the VentureOne, with no AF. I asked if I could get the Venture instead. She said that it has a $59 AF and I said that was fine. A minute later and -- "Your account will be upgraded to a Venture Visa Signature card." ... followed by the terms and conditions.

I'm so happy! I have cash rewards cards, but no travel specific cards. I don't go out of state (FL) very often, but I do go within state several times a year and could use the rewards towards hotels and such. I feel like this has rounded out my wallet, without apping for anything new. This card is important to me, as it's the oldest card in my wallet, not counting a backdated Amex, so I want to keep it. But it's been a bit of an ouch hanging onto a card with an AF and no rewards. Finally, my plain vanilla Cap1 Visa card has grown up and become a more useful card! So happy!!! Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Surprised I wonder if I can do that to my now cap1 bbrzmc.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 22
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Congrats!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 4 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

That is exactly how it happened for me but i opted for cash rewards.

Congrats tinu!!
Message 5 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, everyone. According to the chat transcript (which I saved), I should start earning rewards is 5-7 business days, and the new card should arrive in 7-10 business days. I can hardly wait to get the new card in my hand! I feel like a kid waiting for Santa, LOL!!!

Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 22
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

Thanks, everyone. According to the chat transcript (which I saved), I should start earning rewards is 5-7 business days, and the new card should arrive in 7-10 business days. I can hardly wait to get the new card in my hand! I feel like a kid waiting for Santa, LOL!!!

Congrats...Great work!  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
That is exactly how it happened for me but i opted for cash rewards.

Congrats tinu!!

Congratulations to you, as well. I'm still catching up on threads after coming back from vacation, so I'm sorry that I didn't acknowledge your success earlier. Feels great, doesn't it?

I thought long and hard about the Venture vs. the Cash Back card. As stated above, I decided on the Venture to round out my wallet with a travel rewards card. My other signature card -- a BoA 1-2-3 Visa -- has a cash rewards structure, as does my Discover. Another cash rewards card would have felt redundant. Everyone needs to figure out what is the best option for them, and I'm happy with my choice. I hope you enjoy your new card, as well. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

That is quite alright tinu. My success was 5.5 months ago, 2 weeks after i opened my account. I think you had a presence in that thread. Haha.
Message 9 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Ah, also i cant edit (on my phone) so sorry for the double posr, but when they did mine they also told me 5-7 days. The name of my account stayed "platinum mastercard" and the next day a little rewards thing appeared underneath my account. All of my transactions that were pending at the time immediately accrued into my rewards even though i made the purchases prior to the upgrade. The 5-7 days thing is probably just for their safety, but it should be much quicker than that.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.