blueflame

CapOne Approval & Discover CLI

[ Edited ]

So i've been trying to wait for the right moment to apply for new CC especially since i just went car shopping in March and got hit with quite a lot of inquiries. But im too impatient! I started reading the posts on this site this morning and couldnt help myself. 

CapOne Classic Platinum Card - $500 CL. Did an online chat with CSR asking about an increase. She told me to wait until the card arrives and then to call in.

Discover More - I got a $250 auto cli Thursday bringing me to $1k. Did an online chat about 30 mins ago asking for $2k more and got denied. Recon with credit analyst told me i was denied for too many inquiries but she did note that they were all around the time of my car shopping  and that my payment history was excellent on all accounts so she would be more than happy to approve the increase! They used TU for me (which i believe is somewhere around 640)  and it cost 2 HP (yikes!)

I also applied for a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard  and got the 7-10 day message. Talking to the Credit Analyst from Discover makes me think i have a chance of being approved after recon but i really dont want anymore hits on my CR. not sure what i'll do yet.

I kind of regret the CapOne and Barclay apps since the Discover CLI worked out but its all good.  Think im going to cool it for the rest of the year and work on building my scores up. 

What do you think?

EQ 658 (06/06/13) | EXP 669 (06/09/13) | TU 643 (03/23/13)
Discover More - $3K | CapitalOne Classic Platinum - $500

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: CapOne Approval & Discover CLI

blueflame wrote:

So i've been trying to wait for the right moment to apply for new CC especially since i just went car shopping in March and got hit with quite a lot of inquiries. But im too impatient! I started reading the posts on this site this morning and couldnt help myself. 

CapOne Classic Platinum Card - $500 CL. Did an online chat with CSR asking about an increase. She told me to wait until the card arrives and then to call in.

Discover More - I got a $250 auto cli Thursday bringing me to $1k. Did an online chat about 30 mins ago asking for $2k more and got denied. Recon with credit analyst told me i was denied for too many inquiries but she did note that they were all around the time of my car shopping  and that my payment history was excellent on all accounts so she would be more than happy to approve the increase! They used TU for me (which i believe is somewhere around 640)  and it cost 2 HP (yikes!)

I also applied for a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard  and got the 7-10 day message. Talking to the Credit Analyst from Discover makes me think i have a chance of being approved after recon but i really dont want anymore hits on my CR. not sure what i'll do yet.

I kind of regret the CapOne and Barclay apps since the Discover CLI worked out but its all good.  Think im going to cool it for the rest of the year and work on building my scores up. 

What do you think?

CONGRATS on your increase!

I would hit the garden for a year.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
blueflame

thank you! so you wouldn't even bother with a recon for the Barclaycard? I certainly dont want to push my luck or be greedy but Idk i kind of feel like it might be possible.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

blueflame wrote:

thank you! so you wouldn't even bother with a recon for the Barclaycard? I certainly dont want to push my luck or be greedy but Idk i kind of feel like it might be possible.

If you are willing to take another HP (YMMV) go for the recon.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
09Lexie

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your approval and CLI!
Valued Member
jonald11

If I'm reading this correctly, you haven't been rejected by Barclay's, they just 7-10 dayed you. That could mean a lot of things, including as simple as an address verification. Granted, since it's Barclay's it's not likely, but you have zero to lose by calling them. 

If it comes to that point, then you can make the decision on another hard pull. Listen to what the representative is saying, and ask them honestly if getting another pull will make a difference, or whether you are toast. They usually answer pretty truthfully. 

Good luck, but call them and see what happens. 

Regular Contributor
justforting

Congrats on your new card and CLI.

Last App: 09/17/2013 // No App Until: Mortgage (05/14?)

Cards in my wallet: AMEX BCE ($8000) // CITI AA VISA SIG ($5000) // CHASE FREEDOM ($3500) // DISCOVER IT ($1000) // CAP ONE NC ($1000) // WALMART DISCOVER ($1600)
Credit Scores: FICO TU08 (10/13): 739 // Credit Karma (10/13): 677??!! // Credit Sesame (10/13): 730
Next Goal: CSP (after mortgage probably...)
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

Welcome to the forum and congrats 

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13

Valued Contributor
asphaltcowboy

Congrats on the approval and CLI, now is the time to grab

a seedling, to the garden with ye:smileyvery-happy:

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 721 EQ 719 EX 717 Last Update 8/2014
Garden Club 04/10/2013 (Goal 2015 or Longer)

blueflame

Thanks so much for the welcome! I've been lurking for quite a while and finally decided I should join.

Recon with Barclay was a fail but they used the same credit report so no worries.  Too many inquiries and not enough credit history. She also noted I was carrying a bit of a high balance on my discover card (was trying to wait until I paid it but I couldn't lol). I explained to her that I just bought a car and told her about the Discover CLI and she told me I was making all the necessary steps to build up my credit and that I should try again in 6 monthsDefinitely no more apps for me anytime soon though. I really want to get familiar with the board and set some realistic goals.

Thanks again to you all!  :cathappy:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}