Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

CapOne/HSBC cards....

So I have a CapOne card and two HSBC (Household Bank) cards. Recently CapOne aquired HSBC. So on my credit report it shows I have three CapOne cards now, which is not a big deal, I don't believe. I was considering calling CapOne and having them, if they can or will, combining all of my credit limits and balances to the original CapOne card. By doing this I'm wondering if this will remove two of the CapOne entries on my CR. Would this be a good move to raise my score, or should I just leave well enough alone.

Senior Contributor

Re: CapOne/HSBC cards....

cgreer72 wrote:

So I have a CapOne card and two HSBC (Household Bank) cards. Recently CapOne aquired HSBC. So on my credit report it shows I have three CapOne cards now, which is not a big deal, I don't believe. I was considering calling CapOne and having them, if they can or will, combining all of my credit limits and balances to the original CapOne card. By doing this I'm wondering if this will remove two of the CapOne entries on my CR. Would this be a good move to raise my score, or should I just leave well enough alone.

They may not be ready to combine things, they were not ready in May.  

All 3 accounts should continue to show, with 2 closed, which is generally a good thing, 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wolf3, I thought that accounts (CC) showing as closed on you CR was not a good thing. I was hoping that the two that were "closed" would just fall off all together.

Valued Contributor

cgreer72 wrote:

Wolf3, I thought that accounts (CC) showing as closed on you CR was not a good thing. I was hoping that the two that were "closed" would just fall off all together.

Closed acconts in good standing is a good thing, its something you want. You need  2-3 open cards in good standing, anything more is over kill. The only thing that closing cards does is reduce your overall credit availible thus can effect your UTL, but if your UTL is low you can close cards.  The best part about closed cards is that you can no longer get lates or chargeoffs, they just sit on your report aging for the next 10 years. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Freedom 6.6k & Amtrak 4.6k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 6k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 12k Sally Mae5k Sams Club MC 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 5k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 10k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP/HP 4/22/2015
Senior Contributor

cgreer72 wrote:

No, as long as it is positive (without lates, CO) it hads to your credit history for 10 years. They help with your AAoA.

Regular Contributor

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifing. Smiley Happy So if I can get them to combine, would that be recommended?

Senior Contributor

cgreer72 wrote:

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifing. Smiley Happy So if I can get them to combine, would that be recommended?

Mostly preference,  I would rather have 1 card with total limit, than 3.    Does it save on AF?   Which cards has best rewards, if any?

I also have a Capital One and a Household.   The Household has 2% cash back on everything, vs 2% gas, grocerys and 1% everything else on Capital One.   So in my case, I want to keep the Household even though it has much smaller CL

Regular Contributor

Wolf, I have no perks on any of them. Smiley Sad

Frequent Contributor

Last time I checked with Cap One, they would not combine the HSBC cards.  However, that was a few months ago.  Maybe they are ready now.  Please keep us posted because there are a lot of us that would like to do this if Cap One gives the OK.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just found this on CapOne site...

I currently have both a Capital One and HSBC credit card. Will my accounts be combined?

At this time your Capital One and HSBC credit card accounts cannot be combined or consolidated.

So I guess status remains the same.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.