Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne advice? New card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapOne advice? New card?

Excellent points, Gemini. Thanks for taking the time to share.

@Anonymous wrote:
Cap-1 shouldn't be referred to as a sub-prime lender per se...
I'm fairness to them, they aren't Credit One or 1st Premier or anything....it's fair to say they have a larger footprint, including a high risk division.

Unlike some of the actual banks ( yeah I know Cap has a token bank) Cap-1's business model is invested totally different in CCs than say a Chase or a Citi, that bleeds $$ in oh so many different ways.

Cap-1 grabs market share w/o the benefit of actual banking relationships , so for them to own more than 10% of the US market is quite impressive.

Considering the 3 issuers above them
Citi, Chase and BoA all are actual brick N mortars
which give them HUGE historical advantages in building those relationships to milk.

I should note, I'm speaking of amount of outstanding balances... basically the money their waiting to collect, when I mention numbers, not actual cards themselves.

Anyway Cap-1 has the luxury to a degree to cast a wide net in both directions up the scale and down, because they don't have the infrastructure issues of other issuers and they laugh to the bank no pun
They are owed $81B with a market share behind only the big 3 but ahead of AmEx and Discover....

More than Wells, Barclays or US Bank combined
I think they are doing just fine

Ppl pay attention to what they want and build judgements on more marketing and hype than fact,
Cap-1 is more diverse than most might think and it'd be very hard for the 2 biggest issuers of cards and debt holders in America to only have dealings with the primest of prime

Cap 1 has to advertise and promote differently to reach and move the public , whereas the big 3 has em walking in and has their paychecks deposited every 14 days....much different playing field so a different persona emerges no matter the truth.

Message 21 of 24
driftless
Valued Contributor

I would keep growing your existing Cap One card but also check the pre-qual page on a regular basis. Once you pre-qual for a QS Visa or Venture, whichever you prefer, I would app. Later you can combine your QS1 card into your new card. I would close out some of your smaller cards, like the Cap One secured. I am believer in fewer but better cards.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed it out just today driftless, good call! I do think I'm going to go the grow & pre-qual route with CapOne. I too am a believer in less cards with more bang for your buck. Unless they serve a specific purpose -- like the BCE & Chase SW serve a rewards purpose even if I were to eventually get cards like the CSR or Citi Prestige. That said, I sort-of think the "prestigious cards" are nothing but brilliant marketing. Not too dissimilar to what DeBeers did to the diamond market. My goal is just to use cards that work for me and set me up for long-term goals.

@driftless wrote:
I would keep growing your existing Cap One card but also check the pre-qual page on a regular basis. Once you pre-qual for a QS Visa or Venture, whichever you prefer, I would app. Later you can combine your QS1 card into your new card. I would close out some of your smaller cards, like the Cap One secured. I am believer in fewer but better cards.

Message 23 of 24
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seriously good advice, thanks for taking the time. A few things stand out here that I don't know about, forgive my ignorance.

First, QS Sig > Venture ?

Signature CCs report differently to CBs?

NFCU > PenFed? Or just utilize both? Do you prefer one over the other for other banking needs? Auto loan & mortgage are both on the horizon (9-18mos out).

I was already joining considering NFCU, but I should wait to app for CC products until I get everything else lined up? Should I open a savings acct or something in the meantime or just get membership & sit?

Finally, I did find out my QS1 is in the "steps" program and that my expected CLI after 90 days will be to a measly $750. I also found out I shouldn't app for a new CO acct until at least 6mos after my new QS1. Should I still just try and grow this one account until it's a year old and then prequal for the Venture?

Jealous of your trip. Wines from the Loire are truly underappreciated. My fiancee & I are hoping to do an Italian honeymoon, so drinking our way through Northern Italy will be a must. Barolo might be my favorite wine, but of course it depends on the time of year. I do love Burgundy but the market has gone so wild the past few years, it's hard to afford them anymore.

@Anonymous that is a lot more info…my 12.3K chase was $ 300 two years ago and my scores were in the mid-500s.  Obviously with your scores climbing the way they are you don’t have the issues I do.  If you can forgo the mileage benefits for a while you can do amazing things.  If you forget everything but the cap1, assuming it is not in steps and play and pif it to death you will grow it 3-5K every 6 months.  At one year pre qual and I bet you will see a venture offer.  Take it.  You will get a sl for 20K+ - cli it @ 3 months, wait another 3 and cli your qs, then cash out the venture, combine the qs and close and then pc the venture for a qs sig and have a mother card.  verify it report properly and then get a nfcu card for 25K+and you are done.  You should join the cu now via the navy league unless you have a military affiliation that will allow you to do it later.  Easier to start with a good sl rather than cli it.  Wish I knew what I knew now, I would have gone the nfcu route earlier.  Building with cap1 is a no-brainer for most.  Looks like you are pretty much all set to have what you want in 1.5 years

Yeah, I love burgs – leaving for amsterdam on 9/1 for 4 nights, picking up bikes from a buddy of mine in paris - https://www.yelp.com/biz/paris-bike-co-malakoff great guy btw should you ever need a bike or tour guy or anything bike related, then cycling and drinking in burg for 4 nights, loire for 3 and back to paris for 2 weeks.  Pretty much walking, drinking, cycling, eating and museums.  I also like rioja and barolo or pretty much anything from the piedmont area.  I like traditional wines.  What about you?  Feel free to pm me

Hey, busy week before the flight! 

I know, these abbreviation's lol – I had a c1 platinum that went 300>3300(auto steps)>8300>12,300 in about 18 months. I did product changes; platinum>quicksilver one>quicksilver world mastercard.  Ran the card to the max and paid in full when the limit ran out.  It’s said that c1 likes usage – will see in 2 weeks when I cli my wmc without using it for 6 months ha-ha.  C1 is outstanding at building, no international fees, soft clis and little chance of adverse actions.  I would use the card you have with them and sort of repeat what I did.  You have good scores, you can grow that card pretty well I would guess.

I am going to cli my wmc and fold it into my venture and close it.  I am going to cash out the venture and pc it to a qs visa signature – get the codes lol.  That will be one mother of a card!

@Going to try to penfed my new M2 that is here in ~12/16, good auto rates but I am a low or no docs sort of guy and they are doc happy I think so we shall see. NFCU is also great; they gave me an instant 25K sl without poi or returns.  I like that.  Got them as an auto backup, also decent rates.  My scores are not that hot so I am not expecting any tier 1 offers lol.  I would be a member asap @ NFCU, use the navy league of san diego if you have to.  Great organization, poke around their site. App for a card if you feel like it – tu x2 for me, no change in score.  You might be skocked at what they give you. 

Love burgs and loire, good cycling as well.  Below is my barolo in 13’.  https://enofinewine.com/@ is the only guy that brings in the canonica, pretty much the holy grail of Barolo from what I can tell .. did not speak a drop of English but I stayed with him half the day and drank his juice @ 20e/bottle.  Uses a sponge for the label, hammers the corks in by hand.  My favorite area in the world, really.   Rolling green everywhere.  PM when you start setting up your honeymoon, I have been there more times than I will admit.  Always in la morra.  I hear you re burg $ - check these guys out, they direct from all over the world.  Amazing source, I go to the one in Hollywood as often as I can http://www.klwines.com/@ excurse the spelling/grammar, in a rush.  We are the same in wine, I can tell – don’t drink ca stuff @ all – nothing fruit forward for me.  I like the balance in a traditional rioja but also great acidy in burgs – need acid to cut burger fat lol.  take care and post your success

Giuseppe Mascarello

G.B. Burlotto

Fratelli Brovia

Bartolo Mascarello

Giuseppe Rinaldi

Giacomo Conterno

Cappellano

Oddero

Vietti

E.Pira of Chiara Boschis

Bruno Giacosa

Giovanni Canonica

Mascarello Michele & Figli

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.