CapOne advice? New card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapOne advice? New card?

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Prime accounts and prime cl’s are two different animals.  To me your penfed and the discover are the winners in your lineup.  What does the cap1 pre-qual show?  Yes, you are being impatient imo.  Your scores are on the move up, why not hit 800 and get some real cards would be my thinking.

I don't understand what you're saying. You can get the same [prime] cards whether you have a 700 or 800 credit score. Discover and Penfed are examples of prime cards. Can you clarify what a "real" card is? 

Sure – just like we each give the meaning to our life the meaning of a real card, a prime cl to me is a cl of 20K+.  I used to have a wallet full of them a decade ago and that is my goal – ~100K over 4 cards.  mine goal only.  It obvious that everyone is on their own journey here which makes it interesting.  Just now finished a nice pre-90 day appeal to penfed to review my account and give me the sp cl I deserve lol.

Did you see if Chase would up that 6k limit? 

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, if you really want to stick to Capital One, I would apply for another card now and then combine the limits in the future. The QS1 has a set APR of 23.24% which will only go up as the prime rate goes up, and you'll have to apply for another card to get a lower rate anyways. Even if you pay in full every month, you want a card with a low rate just in case you have an emergency and need to carry a balance. 

Message 12 of 24
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

Prime accounts and prime cl’s are two different animals.  To me your penfed and the discover are the winners in your lineup.  What does the cap1 pre-qual show?  Yes, you are being impatient imo.  Your scores are on the move up, why not hit 800 and get some real cards would be my thinking.

I don't understand what you're saying. You can get the same [prime] cards whether you have a 700 or 800 credit score. Discover and Penfed are examples of prime cards. Can you clarify what a "real" card is? 

Sure – just like we each give the meaning to our life the meaning of a real card, a prime cl to me is a cl of 20K+.  I used to have a wallet full of them a decade ago and that is my goal – ~100K over 4 cards.  mine goal only.  It obvious that everyone is on their own journey here which makes it interesting.  Just now finished a nice pre-90 day appeal to penfed to review my account and give me the sp cl I deserve lol.

no, I am waiting until this time next year after my bad fall off - they will get a single hp from me - my bet it will stay at 6K or increase very little.  if I had it to do over I would have just focused my time on nfcu and cap1 who are less sensitive to bads or at least my bad and the self employed.  live and learn

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

no, I am waiting until this time next year after my bad fall off - they will get a single hp from me - my bet it will stay at 6K or increase very little.  if I had it to do over I would have just focused my time on nfcu and cap1 who are less sensitive to bads or at least my bad and the self employed.  live and learn

You may have better luck at a higher CL by applying for one of their premium cards and then PC'ing it to a card that you want, or combining the limit with your Freedom Unlimited. 

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CSR from CO told me to wait at least 6mos before applying for another card. She said it's not impossible, but very unlikely to get another card because of their fraud protection until 6mos are up. She also said it's impossible to get a manual review for CLI or new acct, despite my situation. I do think I will keep my account like you both suggested and just try and grow it the old fashioned way. 

And my AmEx & Discover accts both have 0% APR for 12mos so I should be safe for now. Thanks for your insights!

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, if you really want to stick to Capital One, I would apply for another card now and then combine the limits in the future. The QS1 has a set APR of 23.24% which will only go up as the prime rate goes up, and you'll have to apply for another card to get a lower rate anyways. Even if you pay in full every month, you want a card with a low rate just in case you have an emergency and need to carry a balance. 

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The CSR from CO told me to wait at least 6mos before applying for another card. She said it's not impossible, but very unlikely to get another card because of their fraud protection until 6mos are up. She also said it's impossible to get a manual review for CLI or new acct, despite my situation. I do think I will keep my account like you both suggested and just try and grow it the old fashioned way. 

And my AmEx & Discover accts both have 0% APR for 12mos so I should be safe for now. Thanks for your insights!

@Anonymous wrote:

If that's the case, then I would apply for a new card whenever the six-month period is up, and then combine the limits from your current CO card to the new one with the higher limit and lower APR. I really think the average person is better off with the QS over any Venture card though, unless you put heavy spend on it... Meaning $50,000 a year or more. 

Message 16 of 24
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

You may have better luck at a higher CL by applying for one of their premium cards and then PC'ing it to a card that you want, or combining the limit with your Freedom Unlimited. 

nope, I am done - in 10 days I after my combine I will have 4 revolvers and that is all I want. 

as a side thought, to me it’s not about sub-prime this or that – lots of people get huge sl’s on the venture and use it just for that reason.  Like me.  and then they grow a stagnate qs wmc or other product as far as it can go, combine it and pc the venture to a visa sig.  like me.  forget the terms and stories, it’s about using the right tool for the job and based on results cap1 is a great tool for the right job. 

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you, Bourgogne. That's essentially what I'm trying to do. I don't want a fat wallet, just cards that make sense for their specific purpose. Btw, did you see my reply earlier in this thread? I had several questions about a few things you said with NFCU, the Signature Card, etc.. If you get a chance, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

nope, I am done - in 10 days I after my combine I will have 4 revolvers and that is all I want. 

as a side thought, to me it’s not about sub-prime this or that – lots of people get huge sl’s on the venture and use it just for that reason.  Like me.  and then they grow a stagnate qs wmc or other product as far as it can go, combine it and pc the venture to a visa sig.  like me.  forget the terms and stories, it’s about using the right tool for the job and based on results cap1 is a great tool for the right job. 

Message 18 of 24
delaney1
Established Contributor

Yeah, effective June 1st only one Cap One card every 6 months. That being said, you were approved for the QS1 which by it's very nature may not grow as much as a regular QS. I got a QS in June of 2015 with a limit of 5k and a score of 648 according to Cap One...by March of 2016 it was at 15k. Even though some would have you believe Cap One is subprime, that's going to be up to the assessment of the individual user.  I'm very happy with my QS, and just got a 20k Venture in July.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap-1 shouldn't be referred to as a sub-prime lender per se...
I'm fairness to them, they aren't Credit One or 1st Premier or anything....it's fair to say they have a larger footprint, including a high risk division.

Unlike some of the actual banks ( yeah I know Cap has a token bank) Cap-1's business model is invested totally different in CCs than say a Chase or a Citi, that bleeds $$ in oh so many different ways.

Cap-1 grabs market share w/o the benefit of actual banking relationships , so for them to own more than 10% of the US market is quite impressive.

Considering the 3 issuers above them
Citi, Chase and BoA all are actual brick N mortars
which give them HUGE historical advantages in building those relationships to milk.

I should note, I'm speaking of amount of outstanding balances... basically the money their waiting to collect, when I mention numbers, not actual cards themselves.

Anyway Cap-1 has the luxury to a degree to cast a wide net in both directions up the scale and down, because they don't have the infrastructure issues of other issuers and they laugh to the bank no pun
They are owed $81B with a market share behind only the big 3 but ahead of AmEx and Discover....

More than Wells, Barclays or US Bank combined
I think they are doing just fine

Ppl pay attention to what they want and build judgements on more marketing and hype than fact,
Cap-1 is more diverse than most might think and it'd be very hard for the 2 biggest issuers of cards and debt holders in America to only have dealings with the primest of prime

Cap 1 has to advertise and promote differently to reach and move the public , whereas the big 3 has em walking in and has their paychecks deposited every 14 days....much different playing field so a different persona emerges no matter the truth.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.