Did you mean: 

CapOne advice

tag
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

Re: CapOne advice

@RTOrockstar wrote:
Funny stuff.

Anyways, I call the number and spoke to a nice lady who listened to my situation and for some reason could not help me so she transferred me over to another dept. Where I had to repeat my situation. Long story short, they told me I'd have to re-apply if I wanted re-consideration(is that a word?). No way! I've already taken the hit on the first one and got shafted.

As a side note, an hour later I get an email from CapOne explaining the benefits of a secured card and a link to apply online. Sheesh!

Smart move to not do it. You already took one hit on ALL 3 reports - why get another one especially when you can be sure they are going to decline you.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

You just dealt with "Peggy". That's just typical of them. Basically they were going to reject you anyway so rather than get right to the point, they jerked you around just for thrills. Now you know first hand of the famous CS Cap One is known for and soon, or at least within a few years, you will know why it is said that CLI and Cap One do not go together.

Welcome to the Cap One family!

Definitely agree.

Chase gave me every reason in the book why they could only give me a $400 CL when I applied at first.

It took 4 or 5 contacts and snail mails before I finally got them to admit that they werent going to give me any more than a $500 limit because I have too much available credit.

For God sake...just level with me the first time and save us BOTH a lot of aggrivation.

Message 12 of 19
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Tell Peggy I said HI !!!  Smiley LOL

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 13 of 19
Gollum
Established Contributor

I've been thinking about the advice I offered (in Message 8 in this thread), and I'd like to add this:
Wait until after at least seven months (thirteen months is probably better) of on time car payments, then talk to a credit union or your bank (or any bank) about refinancing your car loan instead of applying for a credit card.
Here's my reasoning:
The car loan is presumably a relatively large amount.  If you could refinance your car loan to a lower interest rate, that would have an immediate positive impact (you would pay less interest every month on a relatively large balance).  Seven months after successfully refinancing your car loan (and making the payments on time), your chances of approval for your credit card of choice would be greatly improved.
Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 14 of 19
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

OK, I thought this story (and thread) were over but I just  got an alert on Credit Karma that I had another hard pull and I looked it up and sure enough it's from Cap One where they pulled me yesterday and I did NOT re-apply! This was an unauthorized pull so I guess I'll be calling the executive number again!

Message 15 of 19
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

So I called the executive office and spoke to another nice senior acct mgr who reviewed my account and said while she did see where they pulled my reports, there was no reason listed as to why it was pulled as there was no application. Strange. She said she would send a dispute to the CRAs herself but that it could take up to 60-90 days for the pull to be removed. She also said she would send me a copy of the dispute letter and I should receive it within 10 days. This is so bizarre.

Message 16 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@RTOrockstar wrote:

So I called the executive office and spoke to another nice senior acct mgr who reviewed my account and said while she did see where they pulled my reports, there was no reason listed as to why it was pulled as there was no application. Strange. She said she would send a dispute to the CRAs herself but that it could take up to 60-90 days for the pull to be removed. She also said she would send me a copy of the dispute letter and I should receive it within 10 days. This is so bizarre.

OMG, peggy really outdid himself with that one.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 17 of 19
Gollum
Established Contributor

@RTOrockstar wrote:

That doesn't make any sense to me since CRAs only have information given to them by creditors like Capital One.  If Capital One wanted to remove anything, they could, since they are providing the information that is reported to CRAs.

If I talk to a customer service representative, I'm always polite, but I always write down the indentifying information, time of call, and date of call for the customer service representative before we proceed.  I think that lessens the likelihood of my call being "accidentally dropped" during a transfer from one rep to another..

I would just let it go.

I would concentrate on your car loan payments.  Pay them on time for one year, and you will probably be a sought-after credit card risk for most banks and credit unions.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 18 of 19
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Yea, you would think.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.