Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne becoming obsolete?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapOne becoming obsolete?

I love capital one. Took the wife to sweet frog for yogurt planning to use Amex but they didn't accept it. Used capital one instead. I have the spark card with a 50k limit that gets 1% cash back. The interest rate is high so it's pay in full. Spent 100k over the past year and got my 1% check the other day for 1000. That's this summers vacation money for free so not bad.

The only time they declined me was at a car dealer for 20k. After calling in the charge was approved without issue. I love the spark card and capital one that's for sure. It blows away my Amex experience by far
Message 11 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I love capital one. Took the wife to sweet frog for yogurt planning to use Amex but they didn't accept it. Used capital one instead. I have the spark card with a 50k limit that gets 1% cash back. The interest rate is high so it's pay in full. Spent 100k over the past year and got my 1% check the other day for 1000. That's this summers vacation money for free so not bad.

The only time they declined me was at a car dealer for 20k. After calling in the charge was approved without issue. I love the spark card and capital one that's for sure. It blows away my Amex experience by far

With that type of spend you really should upgrade to Capital One's Spark Cash card so you can get 2% cash back. That would've been 2k for your summer vacation Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the past few years, Capital One has worked hard to improve their reputation and their customer base. Rather than focusing on subprime customers, these days their emphasis seems to be the prime crowd  those with good credit.

Pros and cons for Capital One:

Advantages:

• No Foreign transaction fees – Capital One is the only bank to completely waive these fees across their entire product line and they should be commended for such a customer-friendly pricing policy.
  • Caters to different credit scores – Whether you have a good or bad score, chances are that Capital One has a credit card to fit. They offer secured cards, for rebuilding credit. For good credit, there are various choices for cash back and travel rewards.
  • Different reward programs – Is Capital One good for rewards? Well for those with good credit, there is diverse selection of reward programs available. Not all of them are the best, but some like the Venture card (for excellent credit) offer good rebates.
  • Improved customer service – A number of forum members have reported that on the higher up prime-level cards, they get American based customer service.

Disadvantages:

• Fees for some cards – Some of their credit cards do carry a fee. For example, those which are secured and for lower credit scores, there might be a fee involved. Also, their best reward cards have an annual fee.
  • Benefits might be limited – Is Capital One a good for benefits? Well, that depends on the card. Their basic ones tend to just have the standard benefits. However with the fee-based cards for great credit, there are some extra bells and whistles thrown in. But they currently don’t have anything on par with say, an AmEx Gold or Platinum.
  • Credit limits might not be high – If you have bad credit, you may end up with a lower limit and trying to get increases on it in the future may not yield results. Or at least, that’s according to what forum members have shared.
  • Foreign customer service on some cards – In a perfect world, all products would come with American-based customer service. But unfortunately that’s not the world we live in. For the lower level cards especially, foreign customer service reps are common (but in all fairness, that’s how it is with every credit card company).
Message 13 of 53
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'm sorry. If it wasnt for Cap1. I wouldnt have a car loan a couple years ago. After BK who else out there would give me 17k in unsecured credit. Especially a card like Venture 5 months after BK? Citi, BOA, Discover, Chase? Hell no....Theres 1000's of us wouldnt be where were at without them. Not every one on here has half the credit you guys have. Especially the little clique on here with 50 to 200+ thousand in credit. We'd be SOL. JMHO.

Message 14 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my GM Buypower card 5% back on first 5k spent every year then 2% after and I always by GM trucks. They also gave me my 2nd highest CL with that card.
Message 15 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

With so many competitors that offer at least 1.5% cashback, Capital one is lagging. However, it's best to use it to make purchases out of country.

Message 16 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

With so many competitors that offer at least 1.5% cashback, Capital one is lagging. However, it's best to use it to make purchases out of country.

Isn't Cap1 the one who started the 1.5% cash back? Now the others are copying them, but they were there first so they're not the ones lagging Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 53
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Over the past few years, Capital One has worked hard to improve their reputation and their customer base. Rather than focusing on subprime customers, these days their emphasis seems to be the prime crowd  those with good credit.

Pros and cons for Capital One:

Advantages:

• No Foreign transaction fees – Capital One is the only bank to completely waive these fees across their entire product line and they should be commended for such a customer-friendly pricing policy.
  • Caters to different credit scores – Whether you have a good or bad score, chances are that Capital One has a credit card to fit. They offer secured cards, for rebuilding credit. For good credit, there are various choices for cash back and travel rewards.
  • Different reward programs – Is Capital One good for rewards? Well for those with good credit, there is diverse selection of reward programs available. Not all of them are the best, but some like the Venture card (for excellent credit) offer good rebates.
  • Improved customer service – A number of forum members have reported that on the higher up prime-level cards, they get American based customer service.

Disadvantages:

• Fees for some cards – Some of their credit cards do carry a fee. For example, those which are secured and for lower credit scores, there might be a fee involved. Also, their best reward cards have an annual fee.
  • Benefits might be limited – Is Capital One a good for benefits? Well, that depends on the card. Their basic ones tend to just have the standard benefits. However with the fee-based cards for great credit, there are some extra bells and whistles thrown in. But they currently don’t have anything on par with say, an AmEx Gold or Platinum.
  • Credit limits might not be high – If you have bad credit, you may end up with a lower limit and trying to get increases on it in the future may not yield results. Or at least, that’s according to what forum members have shared.
  • Foreign customer service on some cards – In a perfect world, all products would come with American-based customer service. But unfortunately that’s not the world we live in. For the lower level cards especially, foreign customer service reps are common (but in all fairness, that’s how it is with every credit card company).

Excellent post.

I've never quite understood the vitriol Cap One receives on these boards, especially since I've always found their products, while not best in class, works as advertised.  I don't see how they're any better and worse than others, from a user's experience perspective.  I mean, how often does one call customer service?  Seriously.

Regarding the QS, I wouldn't label it as obsolete.  While I will tag any sub 2 cpp card pointless, the QS at least offers one a rationale to accept less than 2%.  Namely, redeem at anytime in whatever amounts (personally, I love this feature, since it takes me years to reach $25 redemptions) and no-ftf fee.  This makes the QS a more viable option for travel than, say, the other 2% cashback cards.

Overall, while a niche product, I find the QS an excellent card.  It's a card I always have with me when traveling abroad.

Message 18 of 53
zyzzus
Established Contributor

An underrated benefit for cap 1 is the lack of a FTF on cards with no AF.  

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 19 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I love Capital One - not just back when I was rebuilding - but today as well. And sure, to some the Venture might not be considered a great travel card, but for those of us who aren't into the points game yet, the Venture works just fine. Now it looks like everyone is taking Cap1's Quicksilver idea with the 1.5% cashback (think Chase's FU, and Barclay's Cash Forward), so Cap1 may have to come up with something new in the future - but when they do, I'll be right there with them. In my opinion, Cap1 will always be in my wallet.

agreeed.

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.